cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Report coming up blank on web server

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I run this baby from design mode everything works great. When I run on to 2003 server the report comes up blank. It apprears not to be loading the report when ran from server in release mode.

The code is straight forword so I think this is a permissions issue with the server. Thanks for your help.

rptDocumentYTD.Load(path);

rptDocumentYTD.SetDataSource(ds);

CrystalReportYTD.ReportSource = rptDocumentYTD;

I am missing something on the server end for sure. Thank you

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I should have mentioned earlier that this application started out in VS2005, and was upgraded to VS2008. We had no issues at that time with Crystal Reports. Three weeks ago we upgraded a development machine to CR 2008. We had the prompt to convert the solution to the newer version of Crystal as well as the prompt asking if it was fine to save the report in the newer version of Crystal. We said yes to both.

I just started a brand new VS2008 solution and added an ASP.NET Crystal Reports Website to it. I do not recall that being a choice before. One thing I noticed right away was a huge difference in the viewer in design mode. In our existing application, the .aspx page with the CRViewer is just a little box control. In the new one I just started, it has the same apperance as the running report does ... with a toolbar and frame, etc.

I tried dragging the CR Viewer control off the page in my older app and adding it back in but it still looks the same.

Now I am wondering if something didn't actually get updated or converted properly?? Any ideas??

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This may be a good clue. See if deleting the viewer off of the form and re-adding it will help. Creating a new simple app and trying that may also be a good idea. Just a simple CrystalReportViewer1 = <path> to a saved data report will do.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had already stated that I tried deleting the viewer and adding it back on in the application that we are trying to deploy and nothing about its apperance has changed in design mode. It still runs fine on the development machine, and brings up the report in a newer viewer. all CR references in the project show 12.0.xxx . When I build this website and move it to our Windows 2003 server, everything about the website works EXCEPT for the CR Viewer. It brings up a blank page, no toolbar, no red x, no errors. Please see my earlier posts if you have any questions regarding the properties of the viewer or how it is loaded in the code behind.

I also stated that I had already created a new little VS2008 and added the CR Viewer to it. Only this time, in design mode, the viewer control looks very similar to what I see only in the browser window when we run our real app on our dev machine. So there is a big difference in between the viewer controls in DESIGN mode of VS2008.

All our existing reports are fed from datasets. Not sure how to set the CR Viewer to an existing path. Do you mean an existing report anywhere in the default app pool?

I really do appreciate your help as this is very frustrating. We expected much greater results when upgrading to full CR 2008. We did not expect to have so much trouble when moving an upgraded application to its server.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Remember, this is only a community forum, not technical support as such. If you're not getting what you need here, you always have the option of creating a phone case:

http://store.businessobjects.com/store/bobjamer/DisplayProductByTypePage&parentCategoryID=&categoryI...

We've covered all the possible issues I can think of. Searching through these forums, I doubt you will find your issue and there is 1000s of post in here. So, yes your issue appears to be unique and talking to a technician should help.

Ludek

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

did anyone ever get a solution to this problem?? i have tailed many fora but still can not find a definitive solution. this problem is plaguing me. please help anyone!! (using CR 12, WINSERVER 2008, ASP.NET)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've encountered this issue twice now. In both cases, it was a permissions issue.

Crystal installation programs create tools Crystal uses to render a report in inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\Crystal....and so on.

My websites are typically in inetpub\webpages\myWebSite....and so on.

By default, site users do not have access (server security permissions-wise) to folders/directories 'above' the site they are using.

I fix it simply by placing a copy of aspnet_client in inside of my site folder. The it renders just fine.

HTH!

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ken, thank you very much for your input.

To all those coming upon this thread, I believe these issues and resolutions are documented in various Kbases (use the search box at the top right of this page). Also, see the following two articles;

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a0437ea8-97d2-2b10-2795-c202a76a...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50aa68c0-82dd-2b10-42bf-e5502b45...

Happy new year everyone,

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your response. I had already read through the links and supporting documents from the links you just provided yesterday as they are also given in an ealier reply to the initial problem for the other user.

We are not even getting the red X, however. Can you point me to a specific reason that you think might be causing the issue? The web.configs are the same and it works on our local machine, so I feel it must be something changed in the machine environment, or perhaps a missed permission to one of the Crystal folders or something? I didn't find any assistance from the links you posted.

I verified that our page load on the reports is not within a !IsPostBack area. Here is that code:

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

int id = Convert.ToInt32(Request.QueryString["ID"]);

vwDAPEnrollmentDetail vded = new vwDAPEnrollmentDetail();

if (Request.Url.ToString().Contains("Enrollment"))

{

vded.Where.ID.Value = id;

if (vded.Query.Load())

{

DataSet ds = new DataSet();

ds.Tables.Add(vded.GetMyDataTable);

ReportDocument report = new ReportDocument();

report.Load(HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath("rptDAPEnrollmentDetailRptt.rpt"));

report.SetDataSource(ds);

DAPMaintenance.Entity.vwDAPNote vdn = new DAPMaintenance.Entity.vwDAPNote();

CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = report;

}

}

The reports are being brought up in a new window and you have to be logged into the website to see them (hence they are in seperate "admin" folder within the site).

Here is the code to bring up the new window

string strCmd = "window.open('DAPDetailReport.aspx?Page=Enrollment&ID=" + Session["DAPEnrollmentID"] + "','window','width=1024,toolbar=1, location=1, menu=1, scrollbars=1, resizeable=yes');";

ScriptManager.RegisterStartupScript(Page, Page.GetType(), "nothing", strCmd, true);

Would any of these things make a difference?

Is there a way I can post or send you a screen shot of the IIS Default Website tree?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The page is completely blank. We cannot see a toolbar. If we do "View Source", we can see the information we are trying to display in text format within some other html. If we right-click anywhere within the blank webpage and check its properties, all we see for the URL is the address of the page we are on.

We are using the default application pool with predefined NETWORK SERVICE account.

Edited by: alinhardt on Aug 13, 2009 11:47 PM

Edited by: alinhardt on Aug 13, 2009 5:28 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am getting the same thing, works in VS2008 when running it through normal debug, but when it is put on a 2003 web server, it does not. It opens but there is nothing showing (blank). If you right-click on the window and select View Source it does have the data in the source code, but nothing is visible in the window. It does have a small image in the report, but not sure if that is the problem. Have installed CRRuntime_12_1_mlb.exe on the 2003 webserver. In IIS it does show the crystalreportviewer12 web service under the default web site treeview. Not sure what to do but any help would be appreciated.

Here is some of the code to the crystalreportviewer:

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="DAPDetailReport.aspx.cs" Inherits="Admin_DAPDetailReport" Title="DAP Detail Report" %>

<%@ Register Assembly="CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=12.0.2000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304"
    Namespace="CrystalDecisions.Web" TagPrefix="CR" %>

<CR:CrystalReportViewer ID="CrystalReportViewer1" runat="server" AutoDataBind="True"
                    EnableDatabaseLogonPrompt="False" EnableParameterPrompt="False"
                    ReuseParameterValuesOnRefresh="True" EnableDrillDown="False" 
                    HasCrystalLogo="False" HasDrillUpButton="False" HasExportButton="False" HasGotoPageButton="False" 
                    HasSearchButton="False" HasToggleGroupTreeButton="False" 
                    Height="50px" Width="350px" 
                    ReportSourceID="CrystalReportSource1" DisplayToolbar="False" 
                        HasDrilldownTabs="False" ToolPanelView="None" />
                <CR:CrystalReportSource ID="CrystalReportSource1" runat="server">
                    <Report FileName="Admin\rptDAPDetailRpt.rpt">
                    </Report>
                </CR:CrystalReportSource>   

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is the page completely blank, or do you get the viewer (toolbar and all) but no data?

If it is the latter, export the report to rpt file format. Open the report in the CR designer. Does the report appear as expected? If it does, are you using default or custom app pool?

Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Look at the two articles below. It is the viewers directory that is not installed correctly.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a0437ea8-97d2-2b10-2795-c202a76a...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50aa68c0-82dd-2b10-42bf-e5502b45...

The install of the CR runtime will install the viewers directory in the correct place - if you are using default website. If you are using custom website, the runtime install has no idea what that is. Follow the suggestions for the viewers directory for your version of Crystal Reports.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The behavior occurs because the report's dynamic images are not created in the 'CrystalReportWebFormViewer' virtual directory's default location.The following work around changes the path of the dynamic image directory to reflect your actual directory location.

Steps to change the virtual directory

1. Right-click the square on the blank report screen where the image should appear and select 'Properties'.

2. In the 'Properties' window, note the image file name and locate the file on your local drive. The location of this file will reflect the directory where the dynamic images are being created.

3. Start Microsoft Internet Information Services Manager (IIS) 6.

4. In the IIS manager window, from the 'Tree' window, select the 'Default Web Site'.

5. To the right of the 'Tree' window are the 'Default Web Site' virtual directories and files. Right-click the 'CrystalReportWebFormViewer' directory and select 'Properties'.

6. In the 'Properties' window, modify the 'Local Path' text box to reflect the directory path displayed in the search results from step 2.

7. Verify the account you are using has full permissions to this directory.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Nikhil Dharme

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, what threw me on this whole thread was one this post:

"It works just fine in compiler, I have tried a simple preview also. I tried just opeing a CR with just a text box that says "Hello""

Now, that report should have displayed the string. The only way it would not have, is if the report had if a background dynamic image of some sort, which you appear to confirm by:

2. In the 'Properties' window, note the image file name and locate the file on your local drive. The location of this file will reflect the directory where the dynamic images are being created.

If the report was created from scratch - no dynamic images, then the string would show up.

Ludek

BTW., as far as issues with images in a CR report, these two articles will be useful:

Edited by: Ludek Uher on May 15, 2009 7:00 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok I created report from scratch, no images.

Thx for your help, but still coming up blank, and I can see the data when i do the code behind. It's a rendering issue for sure, I just have no idea how to fix it.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What's the computer you are using? Is it a laptop of some sort (I know, sounds dumb as you're using WIN 2003, but)? What resolution? Can you copy and paste the code behind in here? E.g.; I guess I'm asking if this is possibly hardware related? Something is very different here...

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For Simple Test- Save the Data with report and then try to view it.

If it does not show the report with Saved data then we can conclude that it is problem in rendering the report rather than loading the data.

Create a sample application where you directly assign the report to viewer through crystal report viewers properties at design time only and let the viewer prompt for information it might need.

Thanks,

Prasad Kanchan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have tried that and she comes up blank. I have even done just a report with text, and still comes up blank.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What version of Crystal Reports are you using?

What version of .NET are you using?

See if a sample app from this download will work (depending on the version of CR, you may have to recompile the app):

https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006252712008E/csharp_web_smpl.exe

I'd recommend trying the csharp_web_simplepreviewreport from the above download.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

VS 2008

CR 12.1.0.892

It works just fine in compliler, I have tried a simple preview also. I tried just opeing a CR with just a text box that says "Hello"

The viewer comes up, but no data/text or anything.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry. Please confirm that you have run csharp_web_simplepreviewreport and this works in the compiler, but fails when deployed to win 2003? If so, how was the CR runtime deployed to the server?

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes it works in compiler, and shows up blank on our 2003 server. Yes we have the CR runtime deployed and we are using crystal in other apps to stream a PDF which is working.

I have traced the app and all appears to be working fine. I have the permissions set for Network Services user on the directory.

The viewer does come up, but the report is not loading or rendering correctly. This is the first app we are using the viewer on.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Let me know all the CR assemblies referenced in your project and their versions.

Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.dll 12.0.2000.683

CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.Framework.dll 12.0.0.683

CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.InfoStore.dll 12.0.0.683

CrystalDecisions.ReportSource.dll 12.0.2000.683

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is just way to weird. Just to eliminate permissions, can you set the app pool to system?

Next, if the above does not help, runt he app. Once the viewer does come up, right click on the blank page and choose "View Source". Can you see the data in the source?

Ludek