cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can we migration sql 2005 engine and master db from C: (default install)?

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

During the installation of sql 2005 on win 2003, the SAP delivered .vbs default installs sql engine and masterdb etc. to the C:\ drive.

I would like to move this to a drive d:\ that is designated to SAN. This is so that during disaster recovery I would have a more resilient contingency for recovery

Has anyone done this if so, some direction would be really appreciated. Also will SAP ECC 6.0 , BI 7.0 or any other Netweaver application have issues?

Please advise

Regards,

Maria

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Maria

You can move the system databases to any location that you want very easily

Refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224071

You will find all info here how to move databases to other location

Let me know of any questions

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

I have moved SAP MS sql 2005 files between SAN file partitions, but have not moved SQL master db files from C:\ drive to the SAN partition. Are you saying that it can also been accomplished without effecting the SQL engine or SAP?

ALSO, is there a way to move the SQL engine from C:\ to a SAN partion ie D:\ drive

Thanks,

Maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes you would be able to move master db files but I am not sure about SQL server engine

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Sorry I miss informed you, we will not be moving sql engine.

But you are confirming that the masterdb , tempdb etc, for sql 2005 can be moved without effect the SAP database.

My collegue informed me that it may not be as simple as just detach/attach, there is also some system db that need to be moved and it does get rather tricky.

Please advsie

maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maria

I am not sure about what you colleagues informed you but only a couple of months back we have moved the system database without any issues and its not as difficult that you think

Just follow the link that I have given to you,it is very good,we followed the same

Let me know of any issues

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Sounds encouraging

Would it be ok, and would you mind letting me know which SQL System databases you moved?

maria

Former Member
0 Kudos

we moved all system databases Master,Model,MSDB to a new location and were able to do without any issues

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

was there not a 'system' database that also needed to be moved? or were these the only ones?

Former Member
0 Kudos

what system database?

these three databases are the system databases of SQL server plus you have SAP database

Please tell me which database are you talking

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

in sql 2005...

mssqlserver database

m

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

what version of sql are you referring to

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes I too have SQL SERVER 2005 SP3

what databases you have ?

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

our findings is that there is a INternal hidden read-only database containing system objects

mssqlresourcedb

Former Member
0 Kudos

oh..okkk

even this can be moved

Refer to

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Administration/2605/

Rohit

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

so you moved this as well?