SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emigall

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can any one explain what is the main purpose of the Key and Status Management(KSM) in the Emigall.

Please let me know briefly.

Thanks...

Regards,

Santhosh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

friedrich_keller
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Santhosh,

In data migration, the legacy system identifies the business object as a legacy system key (oldkey). SAP identifies this migrated business object as an SAP key (newkey). A function called key and status management (KSM) is implemented in the IS Migration Workbench for the following reasons:

o Most of the business objects require a reference to an existing business object (superior object). When creating this business object, it becomes a dependant object (for example, a contract account requires the creation of an existing business partner). However, the legacy system does not know the business partner key in SAP system after the migration of the superior object.

o When creating business objects in the SAP system, it is not possible to use the same key as in the legacy system. Using the oldkey as a newkey (this is external numbering in SAP) depends on whether the oldkey fulfills the requirement of the corresponding newkey for the specific object (for example, the maximum length of the identification of an SAP business partner is defined with 10 characters).

o The need of a mechanism to prevent duplication of business objects when the business object key is determined in the SAP system (internal numbering).

o Implementation of a mechanism to allow a restart of an interrupted or finished data load using the same import file as a source.

You also might want to have a look at thread with a link to the document "Guideline IS Migration Workbench" with more details, how the KSM works.

Kind regards,

Fritz

IBU Utilities, SAP AG

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

friedrich_keller
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Santhosh,

In data migration, the legacy system identifies the business object as a legacy system key (oldkey). SAP identifies this migrated business object as an SAP key (newkey). A function called key and status management (KSM) is implemented in the IS Migration Workbench for the following reasons:

o Most of the business objects require a reference to an existing business object (superior object). When creating this business object, it becomes a dependant object (for example, a contract account requires the creation of an existing business partner). However, the legacy system does not know the business partner key in SAP system after the migration of the superior object.

o When creating business objects in the SAP system, it is not possible to use the same key as in the legacy system. Using the oldkey as a newkey (this is external numbering in SAP) depends on whether the oldkey fulfills the requirement of the corresponding newkey for the specific object (for example, the maximum length of the identification of an SAP business partner is defined with 10 characters).

o The need of a mechanism to prevent duplication of business objects when the business object key is determined in the SAP system (internal numbering).

o Implementation of a mechanism to allow a restart of an interrupted or finished data load using the same import file as a source.

You also might want to have a look at thread with a link to the document "Guideline IS Migration Workbench" with more details, how the KSM works.

Kind regards,

Fritz

IBU Utilities, SAP AG

0 Kudos

Thanks keller.

0 Kudos

Fritz, Thanks for the information.

To add points mentioned by Fritz, using TEMKSV table we can able to find relationship between SAP New key with Legacy Old key.

In EMIGALL, dependency of objects are maintained thr' KSM e.g If we consider Contract Account dependent on Business Partner (or Premise is dependent on Connection object etc), these dependancies are maintained thr 'via KSM' (in ACCOUNT object, select field GPART from structure VK_INIT and go to Field Maintenace, there we can see dependency is maintained thr 'Via KSM'.

Hope this helps to resolve your query.

0 Kudos

Thanks yadav

Then what is the main purpose of the statistics migaration icon in the Emigall transaction.

Can u please explain about that.

Regards,

Santhosh

0 Kudos

In EMIGALL, once you upload data, 'Migration Statistics' button helps to analyse the data i.e. count of total number and error records, time required to complete the job, status of your executed job, throughput records/hour, Error log etc. This is a powerful mechanism and helps a lot while uploading data for all developed EMIGALL objects.

Hope this helps to resolve your query.

0 Kudos

Thanks yadav appreciated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could anybody help me with the message "Change not possible due to blocking status of Migration Object"

I had created a migration object for Move-In and have changed the status from 100 (Data Import blocked) to 002 (Structure maintenence blocked).

Somehow I am not able to change the status anymore.

Kindly suggest,

Thanksand Regards,

Vandana

0 Kudos

Vandana,

After copying/creating your migration object, please change the status of migration object as '000' i.e. 'Do not block any'. Otherwise EMIGALL will not allow you to import data.

0 Kudos

Thanks Shailesh,

I had copied the object and initially changed the status from 100 to 000...

But later I changed it to 002 (Structure maintenance block) and now I can't change the blocking status from 002 to 000.

System does not allow me and says "Change not possible due to blocking status of the migration object."

Thanks and Regards,

Vandana

friedrich_keller
Contributor
0 Kudos

Vandana,

you find an answer to oyur question in thread .

Kind regards,

Fritz