cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to calculate on MDM 7.1 (Range of numbers)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good Afternoon,

I Have the following scenario:

We are implementing a products repository that will feed an ECC environment.

The interface are going to be the Enterprise Portal, so users are going to request for new products on MDM trough Enterprise Portal.

To reduce the impact on the interface team (PI development) we decided to generate the products numbers inside of MDM (once MDM will be the unique interface to input products).

The question is about the product number that I'll have to generate inside of MDM, there are two types of products and each one starts with a specific range number (i.e.; FERT = 800000000 and ZSTK = 9000000000).

Does anybody knows a solution for this situation? I cannot use an AutoID field because I have to guarantee the sequence of each range.

Regards

Armando Martines Neto

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armado,

Try the Qualified ranges to generate the number ranges.

Master Data Management Syndicator-Using Qualified Ranges to Generate SAP Numbers:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/807ce1ba-94c0-2a10-a398-afdfd813...

Also refer to the threads below for more info on similar requirement:

I am not sure whether there is an enhancement in MDM 7.1 , but the above discussion and the article pertains to MDM 5.5

Hope this info helps.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armando,

Number generation has been one of the crucial requirement with MDM as we are dealing with master data creation and maintainence in MDM.

However from mdm 5.5 ver till the latest 7.1 ver of MDM this need has not been fully met.

So if you need MDM to generate the number range for you you will have to do it through one of the following means.

- Use of the Qualified Number range feature provided with the Remote systems.

- Use MDM Data modelling and JAVA API effectively through Portal.

1) For using the Qulaified range feature you can generate a number range for your Product master records but you need to take care of the following.

- This feature works with the Remote system only.So make sure you are maintaining records per the remote system and not directly in MDM.

- This will generate the Keys only at the time of syndication and not before that.

- You will be able to see the keys in the syndicated output file only and not in MDM data manager directly.In the DM these keys will be visible only under the Key mapping option and not otherwise.

You can refer the below links for more info:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/807ce1ba-94c0-2a10-a398-afdfd813...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d0f787f8-11d9-2b10-f789-cffdffa4...

2) The Second method that i suggested would be a workaround by uisng the SAP Portal and MDM Java API.Using this method you can try to maintain the range for every product type with their min and max range in an MDM lookup table and then use these values through the API to increment it one by one to generate a value for every record.This is not a straight forward approach and will require the EP expert for the same.

Just an dea for a workaround i thought will help.

Hope it Helped

Thanks & Regards

Simona Pinto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armando,

As Nitin said you can use the qualified number range. You must be having a table in which you are storing the different types of materials. For that particular remote system (In console) use that table to decide the number range for different material types.

Hope this is clear.

Regards,

Dheeraj.