Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Archive SAP DMS Data?

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Friends

I have never Worked on Archiving Scenarion.I want to understand If I want to archive SAP DMS Documents.Actually I want to know how Archiving process Happens.

1. What are requirements from Hardware side?Means If I store Original Application files using Content Server.Do I require seperate hardware for Archiving?

2. Will Also DIR Data be archived with it?Document No, Type,part version description etc.

3. If Originals are archived , Whether original file are deleted from content server and stored in Archiving server.

4. What are step by step configuration for Archiving ?

So friends waiting for your Guidance and help.

With Regards

Mangesh Pande

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Archiving requires hardware and software to store the archive data.

Hardware such as IBM N series, Centra...

Software such as IXOS (ILM), DOCUMENTUM, OuterBay, EASY, Hitachi, SAP Content server u2026.

SAP Content server is a archive server which helps in storing the archive data (Master data & Transaction data) into storage space. SAP Content server is available free for SAP clients so we can make you of it. As far as I know since document info records are archived the originals are no longer accesible.

Regards

Keerthika

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Keerthika

I know SAP Content Server is Application or software whic has to be Installed on Machine( Hardare ).Togather this setup we can use this setup to store originals ot Archive Data.

My question is Can we use SAP Content server to Store originals and After some period ( Say 5 yrs )use same SAP Content server to Archive data.

Or What is Best Practice ?

please suggest

With Regards

Mangesh Pande

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes you can use the content server to store the original documents and you can archive the same if those documents are not frequently used.

Regards

Keerthika

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

SAP content server can be used to store the following :

my sap PLM : storage and display of construction drawings etc. using mySAP PLM DVS,

Documents from Business Workflow/webflow.

mySAP HR and ESS : storage and display of employee photos.

U can keep the originals but which are not frequently accessed since content server has limited functionality.

U can also store the archive documents but that should not require long term archiving. Since content server is not a replacement of longterm archiving solutions.

Regards,

kavitha

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Friends

I found this Informative thread.

https://forums.sdn.sap.com/click.jspa?searchID=26239364&messageID=7330030

Hey but Still my question is unasnwered.

With Regards

Mangesh Pande

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

check the below thread, i hope it would help you.

Regards,

Keerthika

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

ur questions :

1. What are requirements from Hardware side?Means If I store Original Application files using Content Server.Do I require seperate hardware for Archiving?

The content server is generally installed together with SAP DB on a seperate computer, to reduce the load on the prodcutive server. The content server which comes with the installation needs to be used only for low requirements. u can use it for storing the original files but for a shorter period.

To Archive the documents, u always need a seperate external storage system which is also reffered as the external content server.

As i mentioned earlier in my thread that the content server generally has limited functionality :

--No imaging functions(no scan, no bar code or OCR recognition components).

--No integration of incoming and outgoing faxes.

--Limited or no functions for displaying office formats or techical drawings.

--No support for optical media..

where as documents which are archived using archive link has all the document retrieval options available. also all the functions mentioned above.

2.Will Also DIR Data be archived with it?Document No, Type,part version description etc.

I think meta data can also be archived, but that will be stored seperately.

3. If Originals are archived , Whether original file are deleted from content server and stored in Archiving server.

The purpose of archiving is also to reduce the data on the database. The documents which are no longer used are archived.Even the original files can be archived, but only after a certain period the documents can be archived.So those must be deleted from the content server.( since the document management does not aims at replicated data..)

One more thing you are referring to some thread, which has asked, how to view a archived document?

for this u can use document viewer. also u can confiure the document viewer for the search criteria.

Regards

Kavitha.

Edited by: kavitha harika on May 19, 2009 2:00 PM

Edited by: kavitha harika on May 20, 2009 7:11 AM

Edited by: kavitha harika on May 22, 2009 8:17 AM

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Kavitha,

Thanks a ton for your answers. Sorry to reply so late. That was really enlightning information you have provided.

With Regards

Mangesh Pande

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sir,

I need to Migrate the DIR from Documentum to SAP DMS.

I have having the econnector storing the oroginals in documentum & i want to use the same storage category(DOCUMENTUM).

Could u please let me know how to migrate the DIR from DOCUMENTUM TO SAP DMS as i have 5 TB of data.

Expecting your reply ASAP.

Regards,

veeramani

christoph_hopf
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Veeramani,

for the mass creation of document info records there is a special transaction called SXDA. Please see the SAP note 817743, which includes a detailed description for this transaction.

Other useful notes for the mass processing of original files in DMS are 1329158 and especially for the work in the CAD Desktop note 1581966.

Best regards,

Christoph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the SAP notes & was useful.

My requirment is :

all the Plant maintance documents such as notification,equipment documents is being stored  in documentum.

now we have  the Document archieve services for sap & Content repository is created thro http  in SAP to store the document in documentumi.e.(SAP Storage category)& i am able to upload the document from SAP to Documentum.

Now i want to migrate the old content from Documentum to SAP.i.e DIR should be linked to that Document.

Please let me know & also Let me have any document for this migration so that i will be helpful for me.

Also they want to use Document content services for SAP to read the data from SAP.

My idea is :as we have done for Procurement Documents i,e putting the PO number in documentum & installing the content services for SAP in user's PC can view the document .

In the same way when i configure the configurations for content services & Archieve services, put the EQUIPMENT NUMBER in the document attribute & installing the CS4SAP ,whether this will workit out.

Please let me know ur valuable advice.\

veeramani

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Friends

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Try following procedure-

1. Goto DIR which u want to archive and set them deletion indicator On from document tab

2.Go to transaction CVAR and create Varient for DMS.

3. Select the selected Varient

4. Click on Start date

5. slect the start time for writing,You can choose immediate or schedule later also

6. Select spool parameters, give output device and press procced, now archiving job wil be scheduled

7. Now u can check scheduled job by clicking Shift + F4 in same transaction

8. Select the job & click on Joblog

9. Note down The archiveing session no. is 0000xxx

10. Now execute transaction CVRE and enter read program as DVSARCH3 and execute

11.Provide the archiving session Number 0000xxx and execute u get archived document list.

12. For deleting archived documents execute CVLO transaction, Select the archived file

13. Select the No 0000xxx. & click on Continue

14. Select the start date,You can choose immediate or schedule later also

15. Enter spool parameter and execute

16. Now deleting job will be scheduled,

17. Check the DIR in CV02n, u wont get those archived DIRs

Regards,

Milind

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Milind

Thanks for your answer.Do you have any answers for others question which I have posted.

With Warm Regards

Mangesh Pande

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Milind,

It was very useful info, but I am having some issues, first of all on executing CVAR, and creating a variant, I am getting the below screen

Since description is not given, I dont which all options to choose.

I have given 'Only with deletion indicator' and P_Usage and P_WRITST and doc type DMO ( A test one I created with pdf as originals, stored not using Kpro but via archive ) Anyway on scheduling the job and clicking on the joblog, I am getting the

archive session no: as 000000. As mentioned, I have entered CVRE  and enter read program as DVSARCH3 and execute11.Provide the archiving session Number 0000xxx, and I am getting an empty popup

Kindly help me where I made a mistake. By the way, I have created a content repository of type Archivelink, made the necessary config in OACT, OAC3, OAC2, DC10 . I have uploaded the file in archive as Environment->Check in Archive. One more thing, what is the difference between storing originals in this manner( check in archive ) and checking in through data carrier archive,( which we defined in DC20 ) and it comes a s a pop up with radio button archive. Kindly help me if anyone knows about this.