Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document Management

former_member299514
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

For management of documents like CAD/Engg drawings and scanned copies I am using Document Management standard.

Creating a document in CV01N with document type. The configuration of object links of such document types I have already done like linking with "VORGNET" and "PRPS". Now I am attaching the document from project builder for WBSE or Network.

We are not having a content server here so we are also keeping such documents in a central folder so that it can be accessed by all.

In addition to the above scenario we can also attach documents from "Services for Objects". Clicking on a WBS or Activity and then create an attachment. This does not need the additional step of creating in CV01N. More advantageous this document can be accessed by anybody from the project builder. I am in cloud where it gets stored.

Now comparing the above two cases which will be beneficial to use. What are the advantages of using DMS and then attaching over the other case?

Well the other case is much more simpler for a user. The only drawback I can see is the document is not displayed in the screen so it is very difficult for a user to check whether an object has a doc attached with it.

Please throw some lights as to which is better. What are the advantages of using DMS over simple attachment as SERVICES FOR OBJECTS.

Thanks and Regards,

SUMAN

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Regarding the capacity, there are 2 points.

1. Regarding the file size to be uploaded you can define the size in Configuration.

2. I am not very sure about this pt. But the fact is if you are not using content server and is saving the document in the SAP database the system does not allow you to save more than 3 documents in a single doucment creation i.e, in CV01n.

I am not confident about pt. no. 2 but I used to get error when I tried to save more than 3 documents in a single document creation.

Pl. point out if I am going wrong.

Regards,

Abhra Bose

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

If ur storing the files thru services for object then the data get loaded on SAP server and ur server storage space gets occupied and can affect on system performance. files thru Services for the object u cant maintain record of changes. But in case of DMS u can maintain the revisions/document release thru system.

refer

http://www.leverx.com/Documents/Ten_Questions-DMS_SEP07.pdf

Rgds

former_member299514
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks SriKrishna,

I will then be using through CV01N. But does this DMS has any restriction on the file size to be attached?

I am using a seperate folder which is inside a file server and not a Content server. Can I keep as many documents I want in this folder? How do I know the capacity?

Regards,

SUMAN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

But does this DMS has any restriction on the file size to be attached? We attached file size upto 1GB and it works fine.

I am using a seperate folder which is inside a file server and not a Content server. Can I keep as many documents I want in this folder? I thnk the restriction shuld be size of the server depending on which u can store the amount of data.

How do I know the capacity? do u mean by Capacity of server or wht ? I have know knowledge about the bais part so unable to answer this

Rgds

former_member299514
Participant
0 Kudos

I will have to check this out with the BASIS guy. Anyway thanks for the reply.