cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra Agate process

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all, I changed the Max Agate parameter to 2 in the ITSdefault.xml and restarted ITS. Under what circumstances will the 2nd Agate process be triggered?

Thanks all!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Wein,

yes: in multiprocess Agate environments the Mapping Manager is taking care of the loadbalancing and responsible for (re)starting and stopping of agate processes.

I had the opinion that the multiprocess Agate was changed to plain round-robin on MaxAgates, but there still seems to be a weightfactor involved in adding processes from MinAgates to MaxAgates. I could not find any docu on that.

This is what I found out:

The weight is scaled from 1 (100% free) to 0 (fully occupied). If one of the current processes is running under the threshold 0.25 then a new process is created.

Weight is calculated by:

WSessions = AvailWorkSessions / MaxWorkSessions

WThreads = AvailWorkThreads / MaxWorkThreads

WTurnAround = Some calculation on hits per second, turnaroundtime and workthreads.

Weight = WSessions * WThreads * WTurnAround;

By the above you see that renewal/(re)starting can happen quickly since if all factors have a load of 40% i.e. factor 0.6 (free) then:

Weight = .6 * .6 * .6 = 0.216 < 0.25

Which means a new agate process is added.

This is all I could find out, if you want to know what happens exactly and what the algorithme is then you should open an OSS to clear things out.

Another thing you could do is to set the trace for the mapping manager to a higher level (only if you are on a low load or non-productive system) and check the traces to see if there are indicators about what happens.

Regards,

Fekke

Former Member
0 Kudos

Understood. Thank you for your time Fekke

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Wein,

immediate; in ITS620 MinAgates should be equal to MaxAgates.

See ITS Administration Guide P64/65.

To make the multiprocess Agate effective you have to change "multiprocess" on the wgate to "yes" for this Agate.

After that the WGate communicates with the Mapping Manager at the AGate side which takes care of the loadbalancing between the multiple Agate processes.

Regards,

Fekke

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fekke,

does it mean that after all these parameters are set, the mapping manager takes care of when an extra Agate process is needed?

There was 1 situation where I set an extra Agate process in ITSdefault.xml. There wasn't any heavy load but the extra Agate process was triggered. Is there any rational to why or how another Agate process is triggered?

Many thanks for your help Fekke!