Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore the backup

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

I have taken the full backup of DEV server. Now i want to test the backup is OK Or not. then i have problem that How to restore the OS. please suggest me

thanks

Ganesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi

use BRTOOLS to start the restore of the backup

Rohit

Former Member
ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello

I am sorry, i forget to inform that. i have backup of OS-2003 and Database - SQL 2005 then i can restore the Database, usr and other thing, i can understand how to restore the OS on newly fresh machine

Thanks

Ganesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

You have to use third party software for backing up (golden image) source system and then restore on target system. This will keep the registry intact.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"cloning" a SAP system is not supported - especially it will give you troubles if you're in a Domain.

Use the system copy guides to install a new system with a backup:

http://service.sap.com/systemcopy

Markus

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for reply

I have problem that, I have taken a full backup with OS and SAP Data (usr, Database etc.), now i want to test the backup, with OS and SAP data restore on fresh HDD. is it possible?

OR suppose i will install fresh OS on new HDD and then restore the OS and SAP Data from the Tape, means the previous OS is overwrite by Tape drive backup OS.

OR suggest me any procedure for testing the Backup (Backup is proper or not)

Thanks

Ganesh

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I have problem that, I have taken a full backup with OS and SAP Data (usr, Database etc.), now i want to test the backup, with OS and SAP data restore on fresh HDD. is it possible?

Not from scratch. You must install a system to generate users, shares, registry keys and permissions. You can, however, then overwrite the e. g. kernel with your backup.

Depending on which backup software you use you may also have the possiblity to install the OS using that backup.

Markus

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi!

Will you please suggest me that which is best backup software.

can ntbackup is reliable for backup of OS and SAP Database?

thanks

ganesh

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Will you please suggest me that which is best backup software.

This is a likewise question as "which OS and DB are the best". It depends on your requirements.

> can ntbackup is reliable for backup of OS and SAP Database?

NTbackup does backups - yes. If the features are enough for your environment go for it. Usually the company policy defines, what is necessary and then you choose the backup software based on those requirements.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ganesh,

U can test both ur backup either NT(OS Backup) or Database Backup.DB backup prefere because

it take less time less effort ,less data loss chance.

If u have Offline full Backup then u can restore through BRRESTORE or

u can copy manually all files including controlfile ,spfile,datafiles to same path in new system.

Answers (0)