cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch job Process Chain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

When I run the chain myself with 'Start immediately' setting in variant, the chain is running fine and loading data. But when this is put in batch job by the basis, it is not triggered and never started. I changed the setting to "Start using metachain or API" in the start variant, but still did not work. In SM21 this is the message:

In order to complete the chain run, follow these steps:

Ensure that Start Using Metachain or API is selected in the

variant maintenance for the start process. By doing so, you ensure that

the chain is not restarted.

Schedule the process chain.

In the log view for the process chain maintenance, choose View ->

Merge Active Version, and end the incorrect process using the

respective context menu entry.

&SYS_ADMIN&

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

Start using Metachain or API should be used if you've a chain being called inside another chain.

So if your chain is the main one, calling another chains inside it, you should have in the start variant marked with direct shceduling. In there click on change selections and schedule to a date/time desired.

Diogo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Diogo,

I did that in the first place and got the above message. Your suggestion is possible if I have to schedule the jobs myself. What if the policy is to schedule the chains by basis and as a batch job? Also, want to know what is batch job and why need when we can schedule periodicity within the chain itself?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

Ok, I understand why do you have that. If your basis team as a job to run the chains, then you have to set it as using metachain or API, in your case you're using API.

You could have that because of policy of your company that those jobs should be run by a seperate team.

Off course, they should use the schedule of the chain instead of a program, and there they could schedule the chain and repeat it at several intervals.

The only advantage of using the API, could be so they could for example run that chain today at 1:00 and today at 5:00 and no more for this one day.

So they could control more the time and dates of when to chedule the chain. Even so you could do that with different chains (copy of the same chain) running at different times, or with process decision of when to ru the chain.

You should talk with your basis team to know why don't they use the schedule of the chain to run it.

Nevertheless you should also ask for the program they use to run the chain. That's the job being schedule.

For example, you have this function module to run a chain: RSPC_CHAIN_START.

You can go to transaction se37 insert that name and use the button to see what programs call that function module. If you find a Z or Y program name, than you have a program using that function module to run a chain. See that program code in se38 transaction.

Also go to se37 transaction and see all type of jobs for that Z or Y program job.

Diogo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the detailed description. You are right they are using it for timing of the chain, also not aware of the features in the process chain. I checked SE37 with RSPC_CHAIN_START and found the Program name: SAPLRSPC_BACKEND. When you say program name, do you mean BI_PROCESS_TRIGGER? If yes, this the common name for all the chains. If not how to find the program name for each chain to enter into SE37?

Assigned points.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

No,

What i ment was go to transaction se37 and insert the name RSPC_CHAIN_START. Click on the button where-used list (ctrl****F3) and choose only programs.

Does it return any progrm name starting with Z or Y? If so, you have a customer defined program that calls that function module to call process chains.

But this was just an example of how to do that.

It is best to ask your basis team whats the job name (or program name) that they use to run the chains.

Diogo.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Diogo, there are no Y or Z programs. The message I got is: Function Module RSPC_CHAIN_START not found in Programs (possibly dynamic calls!) Message no. ES200. I think I got the answer.

Answers (0)