cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network failure - processig file

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Do we have any mechanism to identify network failure while reading the file from FTP.

My doubt is suppose I'm reading file and processing record by record..

1) In between reading if network failure happend, what happend to other records which are not processed.

2)If my scenario is should process complete file or reject complete file .. wht i should do?

3) If my scenario is only the records which are not processed should process.

Regards,

venu.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venu,

The file will be picked up by XI in one shot and not record by record.

So, if the file is picked up by XI, then network failure will not matter. But, before picking up the file if the network fails, like say you shut down the FTP server, then I think the adapter will reflect an error or will not pick up the file.

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bavesh,

Thank you very much.

My doubt is if the file size is 10MB, even in this case is it possible to pick up in One shot?

My undersatnding is unless it read entire file it will not send the message for processing right?

But according ur suggestion, if network failure happence adapter will reflects an error. Is it possible to send this information to network administrator ?

Records,

venu.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi venu,

I have not worked on file of size of 10 MB, but have followed several threads on SDN that have dealt with files of size greate5r than 10 MB also.

<i>My undersatnding is unless it read entire file it will not send the message for processing right</i>?

yes, irrespective of file size, the file will be picked in one shot.

If the netwrok fails, then there will be an error in FILE ADAPTER and you can use the ALERTS of Xi to trigger an email to send the info the network administrator.

DO let me know if u need to know how to configure alerets.

Regards,

Bhavesh

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venu,

To create alerts , this blog can help you out,

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/09/09/xi-alerts--step-by-step

From SP14 onwards, activation of end to end monitoring is not needed for Alerting. Refer to this note 870232 for this info.

Next, to test if your Alerts have been defined correctly, go to SE38. In the program , type RSALERTTEST and then click on EXECUTE button ( F8 ). In the next window, it will ask you for your ALERTCATEGORY. Just give the name of your ALERT CATEGORY and click EXECUTE.

If you have configured your alerts correctly, you will receive a message that tells ALERT IS GENERATED and will give the ALERT ID.

Now, go to your Run TIme workbench and then select ALERT INBOX and see if you have got the ALERT message in your ALERT INBOX.

If this is working fine, then the last step, implement the note 913858.

If you are blow SP14, then also cgheck this blog,

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/09/09/xi-alerts--troubleshooting-guide

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh,

Thank u very much.

It clears my doubt.my requirement is need to send an alert or email to the concerned network administrator when this type of error comes.

regards,

venu

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venu,

Great to know that

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Sorry to rain on the party , i remember following up with sap regarding the recordsets per message option and got a reply someting like this.

<b>If FTP is used, the entire file content will be read into memory. In case of NFS only maximum record sets defined in file adapter will be read from file. Up SP14 FTP will work as NFS.</b>

so a network failure may affect your processing, its better you dbl chk using a proper channel(OSS)

Regards

Saravana

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venu,

I have tried with 120 MB file and simple mapping, it was picked up by the file adapter and successfully processed it.

Thanks,

Prateek

former_member91687
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venugopal,

It can be done, you can configure alerts to send a mail when the adapter errors out, to get a notification of it. To configure alerts you can check michals blog on the same.

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/09/09/xi-alerts--step-by-step

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/09/09/xi-alerts--troubleshooting-guide

In the RWB when creating an alert rule, you can explicitly choor if the error occured in the Integration engine or adapter engine and more specifically the adapter type too.

Check note 870232 and 913858.

Regards,

Chandra

Message was edited by: Chandravadhana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

<i>1) In between reading if network failure happend, what happend to other records which are not processed.</i>

A file adapter keeps polling for a file from when it is activated. When it finds the required file, the entire file is taken into memory, and it is processed record by record.

So, the above statement cannot happen.

<i>2)If my scenario is should process complete file or reject complete file .. wht i should do?</i>

There must be a condition based on which you would want to reject a file.

For ex, you can search if a tag in the entire record exist, if it does, then processing is continued, else the file could be rejected.

The above could be achieved, using a ccBPM. Check if the tag exists, if so, send the message to the target, else, you could raise an exception, or you could specify the IP to stop.

<i>3) If my scenario is only the records which are not processed should process.</i>

You could maintain a database table.Make an entry in the table, each time a record is processed.

When a new record comes in, check if there is an entry in the table for such a record, if so, reject the record as duplicate.

Regards,

Smitha.

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

<i>******1) In between reading if network failure happend, what happend to other records which are not processed.</i>

Once the Adapter is Active, then file will be picked up and it starts processing. So if there is any error while picking up the file then it will show error in Adapter Monitoring. For this , you can trigger an alert( if SP14 onwards) to notify the people. Once it picks the file, then it will start processing the records

<i>******2)If my scenario is should process complete file or reject complete file .. wht i should do?</i>

Depends on Business Requirements. You can do both. If you want to check this , after file is getting picked up, then do a Records check in Java Module in the File Adapter. One you you find there is an error in the file,(no of records etc), then you can directly reject the file based on requirements. If you this check in Module, you can avoid the messages reaching to Mapping, so the better performance.

<i>***3) If my scenario is only the records which are not processed should process.</i>

You need to implement this logic either in Module or Mapping. But if you want to get the processed Records , you need to maintain some comments (Table) on that.. Depends on the requirement..

Hope this helps

Regards,

Moorthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The adapter picks up the file and starts reading it and processing it so it will never happened that the some records are processed and some are not.

Thanks,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venu,

I think the file adapter picks up the entire file before it processes it and produce(s) XML nessage(s). It is like all XML messages or generated or none. So the problem of processing a few and missing a few will not arise.

praveen