cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Numbers for Raw Materials

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

We are not using serial numbers at the moment, but we would like to assign a serial number to each material that enters the warehouse. So not on finished goods, but on raw materials. If we for instance order 10 boxes of a material, we would like to create 10 different serial numbers for these boxes (in MIGO).

Batch management is not the solution, since the 10 boxes would receive the same number, whereas we want a unique number per box.

Is this possible?

Regards, Marc

Edited by: japie303 on May 12, 2009 1:08 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are doing GR for 10 boxes, you can assign the serial number to all 10 boxes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

How?

The system automatically generates 200 serial numbers, instead of 10. How can I tell the system to generate only 10 SNs automatically, since this is the number of boxes I have?

Regards

Marc

petar_stoyanov
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi, i do believe that the serial number is attached to the base unit of measure of the material - so i do not believe that is possible to assign it to the stock keeping unit.

If you receive one box with 10 ea, i do not believe that is possible to have the same serial number for the 10 eaches, because the combination of material and serial number should be unique (but you can test that to verify it.)

Probably is an option to use handling unit management and to have each box assigned to handling unit - however i do not have much knowledge in this area.

Second option is if you have warehouse management activated, to use storage unit management (each box to be different storage unit)

Third option is to have box as base unit of measure

Best regards, Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies.

We already have storage unit types, one of them is "Box". So in the warehouse mgmt 2 tab, an entry has been made which looks like:

LE quantity Un Sut

1. 100 Ea Box

This works nicely when goods are putaway: the system suggests that if there are 1000 materials ready for putaway, 10 boxes are delivered and thus 10 storage bins are required.

The only thing that fails is that there will be 1000 serial numbers generated, instead of 10. Handling Unit management is no option, because that brings a lot of workload with packing and unpacking goods. Changing the base unit of measure to box is not an option, since a box is no unit of measure.

Regards,

marc.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member182673
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

May be you can try creating a BOM which will be the BOX and assign serial number profile to it and not to the child materials.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sir,

You can configure serial no. profile using T-Code OIS2..

You can update serial no. profile in material master in plant data storage view at each plant level..

In option of serial no. profile..

So whenever you create GRN it will ask for the serial no. as per quantity of GRN

Thanks and Regards

NJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please configure the serial number profile in transaction code OIS2 and assIgn this profile in to materail master.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

serial number profile is attached at material level and material transaction happens in either Stock keeping unit or Issuing unit. Now you might have ordered in BOX as an orderd unit, when receiving just check whether it is possible to receive the Boxes with serial number, i do not thing it is possible to have ser. numbers for BOXes but you can have at the level of materials. Check this out

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Let me clarify my question a bit:

I know it is possible to assign the serial numbers to each material seperately, but I want to assign the serial number to a stock keeping unit. So for instance a 10 boxes that contain 20 components each, would yield 10 serial numbers and not 200!

Hope this helps.

Regards, Marc

petar_stoyanov
Explorer
0 Kudos

It is possible. You have to assign serial number profile in plant data storage 2 view.

Best Regards, Peter