Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading Roles from ECC 6.0 to SCM 5.1 (APO)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are trying to re-use some roles created in SAP ECC 6.0 in order to be used in a APO(SAP SCM 5.10) system.

We downloaded and uploaded the roles to the target system, although we do not identify any problem in doing that I will like ask the experts if there is something that I should do or not, and if there is something that we have to take into account in doing this.

The roles are only for some activities that are the same in both systems like user administration, authorization administration and other technical stuff that is the same in both systems.

Our goal of course is that every time that we make changes in the source system we will download and upload in order to keep updated the target system.

I would like appreciate your opinion

Best Regards

FedeX

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member187565
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Fedex,

After uploading a role, the role authorizations retain the technical names of the source system. The problem occurs if the system already contains a role with the same name but any profile name before uploading. A conflict of technical authorization names may occur if a role in the upload system uses the same technical profile name as the uploaded role did in the source system.

So before download your role check whether their is a role whose name is same in target system or not.

6 REPLIES 6

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We downloaded and uploaded the roles to the target system, although we do not identify any problem in doing that I will like ask the experts if there is something that I should do or not, and if there is something that we have to take into account in doing this.

Well, there could be a difference in objects, customizing switches and patchlevels which could lead to unwanted (and sometimes almost invisble) problems. If there are objects in the roles that do not exist in the target system (or if they're linked to a non-existent object class) you will not be able to see or maintain them in PFCG.

This will also cause problems when transporting these roles through the target landscape.

So I'd suggest you thoroughly compare TOBJ on both systems and make sure these tables are identical for the objects concerned. That should cover technical issues. After that make sure the systems behave the same (customizing etc).

former_member187565
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Fedex,

After uploading a role, the role authorizations retain the technical names of the source system. The problem occurs if the system already contains a role with the same name but any profile name before uploading. A conflict of technical authorization names may occur if a role in the upload system uses the same technical profile name as the uploaded role did in the source system.

So before download your role check whether their is a role whose name is same in target system or not.

0 Kudos

Thanks for your comments.

Regarding the possible name conflict or problem:

the first time that I do upload the role and profile are not existing in the target system but after that every time that I perform an upload to update the role .. role name and profile are already existing..that is clear......you mean this will cause a problem?

Are the authorizations in SAP part of a "software component" (e.g SAP_BASIS) so that I could compare these in both systems?

Thanks

FedeX

0 Kudos

> the first time that I do upload the role and profile are not existing in the target system but after that every time that I perform an upload to update the role .. role name and profile are already existing..that is clear......you mean this will cause a problem?

Nope, you're just getting a warning that you're about to overwrite some stuff. Which is what you want to do....

> Are the authorizations in SAP part of a "software component" (e.g SAP_BASIS) so that I could compare these in both systems?

I do not understand this question. What is it you want to compare?

0 Kudos

I mean in case the authorization are located in some SAP software component .....maybe I could compare for example the software component version and support package ( from the upper menu system->status-> component version) in the ECC with the one in the APO sytem...

Is this possible?

Thanks and regards

FedeX

0 Kudos

I'd suspect it is in BASIS and/or ABA, as long as you're talking about the authorizations for system administration etc.

Not really sure wether this information will return any guarantees......