cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion of ABAP procedural >> ABAP OO in TRs, URs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello:

We are planning on migrating from NW04 to NW04s n Q3.

We have a quite bit of ABAP routines in TRs, URs and User Exits.

We have plans on using 04s Datasource features

I have following questions:

1. When Datasource is migrated to 04s, are we forced to migrate existing routines to ABAP OO ?

2.Is there a tool that converts the existing routines to ABAP OO?

3.If we are forced to migrate to ABAP OO, What happens to custom ABAP code used to extend extractors in the source system?

Appreciate your responses

Vijay

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Andreas,

We applied SPS 7 last month to our Netweaver 2004s BI Installation. I have completed the activities that you mention to see the context menu for this conversion tool. I do not see any additional menus for 'Additional Functions \ Create Transformation'.

I have found the following note, 936599, stating that the transformation selection is missing from the context menu. I was wondering if you know another way to gain access to this conversion tool.

Thanks,

Michael Parsons

Former Member
0 Kudos

Andreas,

I can see the "Additional functions" option in context menu only for infosource and then it just gives you options for 1.) Create transfer rules and 2.) display logs. I dont see the "Create Transformation" option.

Also when you see the context menu for update rules and transfer rules I am getting only three options 1.) Display 2.) Chnage 3.) Delete.

Are we supposed to wait till SP08 as per the note 936599 as mentioned by Michael, or is there a workaround.

Thanks,

Kiran

former_member192700
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

I saw the entry for creating of a transformation already in our internal SPS7 system.

There must have been a dependency to another correction which deleted the entry again.

As stated in the note, we have to wait for SPS8.

Sorry for the inconvenience

SAP NetWeaver 2004s Ramp-Up BI Back Office Team

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas. Thanks for the reply.

I am still trying to create transformation from datasource to inforsource and from infosource to cube.

When I right click on datasource and try creating transformation with target as Infosource. It gives me this error, which I am not sure how to interpret.

"Target TRCS 0CO_OM_CCA_1 does not exist"

And when I am trying to create transformation between cube and source and infosource it gives me very similar error.

"Source TRCS 0CO_OM_CCA_1 does not exist"

What would you comment on this. I can see that infosource is installed from Business content and active.

Thanks,

Kiran.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kiran,

as Andreas and Dirk mentioned before. You can not use "old" DataSources as source for the new features.

Best,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Michael,

I am using the "old" datasource. I can see that small square it has on the left side. So we can use this datasource to create transformation thats what I was thinking. and actually thats what I am trying to do create transformation between datasource and infosource. My infosource also is 3.x since I can see the small square there too.

So can I create transformation between these objects or do I have to take a different approach.

Hopefully I am making myself clear.

thanks alot to all for advice.

Kiran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

you can not use transfotmation. Transformation can be created with the new DataSource.

You have to create transfer and update rules in this case.

Right mouse click on the InfoProvider (InfoCube) --> Add. Functions --> Create Update Rules.

This should work.

Best

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anybody know where the conversion tool can be found?

Thanks

Ioan

former_member192700
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ioan,

if you are positioning on a update / transfer rule, you find an entry in the context menu for 'Additional Functions' --> 'Create Transformation'.

Cheers

former_member192700
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay:

ad 1.)

Yes that is true. The method concept is providing us with additional means of error handling which was the main reason to move to ABAP OO:

ad 2.)

Starting with SPS7 whtere is feature available to use a transfer / update rule and copy it to a transformation. Nevertheless, depending on the complexity of the ABAP routines, manual re-work might be necessary.

ad 3.)

This remains the same, since the customer enhancement remained as it was in previous releases.

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Andreas:

So this means that when migrated to 2004s, all ABAP code in existing BW i.e TRs, URs and User Exits need to be migrated to ABAP OO.

is this a correct statement ?

Thanks

Vijay

former_member192700
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

no this statement is not correct.

It holds only true for transfer / update rules. Exits have not been changed.

As stated above, there is a tool availalbe with SPS7 to copy update / transfer rules to transformation (including the ABAP routines), yet depeding on the complexity of the ABAP you might have to do some manual re-work.

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

from my limited experience with 04s and my not so limited experience with user exits I recommend the following way to handle the upgrade:

1. Do the upgrade.

2. Check out the new features and check where you need them. Normally you have a handful of Info-/DataSources where you want to use the new features and dozens of master data sources where you don't need to change the process.

3. For those DataSources you want to change you should check out if you still want to keep the InfoSources. A transformation can directly connect the DataSource and the InfoProvider but if you load data into multiple InfoProviders you may want to keep the InfoSource.

4. I wasn't able to check the tool to do the transformation but from my understanding it switches either a transfer rule or an update rule to a transformation and doesn't condense both rules and the InfoSource into a single transformation. (Andreas, is this true?) So you should use this on these UR/TR where you keep the InfoSource.

5. If you want to skip the InfoSource create a new transformation for your new DS. Here you need to copy and adjust your coding to ABAP OO. But don't worry, it didn't change a lot and you don't need to think about classes and inheritance to do the implementation.

Best regards

Dirk

former_member192700
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

since Dirk was asking. His assumptions and statements are correct.

Cheers