cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control order of single refresh of multiple query workbook

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a workbook which contains 3 queries. The selections variables are as follows:

- Query 1: Date, unit of measure

- Query 2: Date

- Query 3: Date, unit of measure, currency

The number of selection screens which I have to execute depends in which order the browser executes the queries. If it selects query 1 first, the selection screen for query 2 won’t appear (as the range of dates is taken from query 1 selection screen). The selection screen for query 3 appears but with only the field currency (the dates and unit of measure are taken from query 1 selection screen).

Is it possible to control the order in which the browser executes the queries when I do a refresh all? i.e. if query 3 is executed first I will only have to execute one selection screen, the values for the other two will be taken automatically.

Thank you

Simon

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188975
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

Not sure, but I think it depends on the order in which you inserted the queries into the workbook. So you can try to insert query 3 in this workbook, and then insert the other queries.

Hope this helps...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhanu,

It is a bit of a dirty solution but it appears to work. Thank you.

majeed_mohammedabdul
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

It is this way . The order of sheets executed is

suppose if u have 3 sheets then the sheet3 is executed first then sheet2 and then sheet1.

But for maintaining only one prompt u shd insert the queries into sheets in order ( since all queries may not have same number of prompts " but the variables shd be common )

Although sheet3 > sheet2> sheet1 is the order u have to insert the query with max prompts in sheet 1 and shd be inserted first.

Hope this helps

regards

Majeed

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simon,

I will try to find link to a posting I made about this last year.

Practically speaking, the order in which you insert queries is the only means within the reach of most users.

There are two other ways, both of which I have implemented a number of times with 100% success.

The first "other way" involves extensive manipulation of the (very) hidden worksheets in your BW workbook. You re-order the listing of the queries in the first table in the worksheet named SAPBEXqueries. Then, you change the row references in every other table in both SAPBEXqueries and SAPBEXfilters. This is not for those who are not already familiar with these worksheets. (Unless you have a nice macro that will do all the work for you.)

The second might be something to consider.

Keep your 3 queries where they are. Add 3 blank worksheets. Now, copy the 3 existing queries using the Business Explorer toolbar (Tools >> Copy query). Copy them in reverse order of what you want the refresh to be.

Test it. Be sure that the last 3 inserted are refreshing in the correct order. Then, remove the original 3 (Tools >> Remove query). Viola!

If you have never used Copy query before, you should try it. It keeps all of your filter values and all of the local view navigation and formatting of result table. So, you get to keep most of your work. If you have rearranged the Characteristics' filter cells or done something special with the text elements, you will lose that. But, in most cases a query copy is much friendlier than a query embed.

Hope this helps.

- Pete