Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Length of IDoc field is cut

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have the following problem:

I have a vendor master scenario which means XML File to CREMAS IDoc. The problem is here the phone numer.

The length of the phone numer is set to max=16 in the IDoc schema. If I have a longer phone number obviously this is no problem in the mapping itself as I do not get an error message there.

Is this correct? I would have expected an error when I test the message mapping with the "test" tab.

However the phone number is then cut in the SAP ERP-system after receiving. Is there any way to change this field to accept longer values in the backend SAP ERP system? What are the steps to be done if this is possible?

Thank you very much for your advise.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hello,

>

> I have the following problem:

>

> I have a vendor master scenario which means XML File to CREMAS IDoc. The problem is here the phone numer.

> The length of the phone numer is set to max=16 in the IDoc schema. If I have a longer phone number obviously this is no problem in the mapping itself as I do not get an error message there.

> Is this correct? I would have expected an error when I test the message mapping with the "test" tab.

>

XI 3.0 or PI 7.0 doesnt do such a validation on the XSD. So it will not throw any error.

in PI 7.1 you can force a XSD validation

> However the phone number is then cut in the SAP ERP-system after receiving. Is there any way to change this field to accept longer values in the backend SAP ERP system? What are the steps to be done if this is possible?

>

> Thank you very much for your advise.

you will have to customize the Idoc in R3to accept more characters than the specified length in the backend SAP

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for your helpful answers and the useful link.

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Go for IDoc extension in SAP R/3 if absolutely necessary:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a04af5ab-5737-2b10-67aa-88e25e80...

Regards,

Ravi

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As said earlier, the behavior you noticed is as expected.

If you are thinking of managing this problem in PI, then this would mean change in the idoc structure and the underlying posting program. You have to think about the worth of these efforts. You may otherwise trim or send rest of the characters in some unused an unmapped field of idoc and use it further in the idoc.

Regards,

Prateek

former_member200962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Is this correct? I would have expected an error when I test the message mapping with the "test" tab.

yes this behaviour is correct.....

Is there any way to change this field to accept longer values in the backend SAP ERP system?
What are the steps to be done if this is possible?

the strcuture is not defined in XI (IDOC).....the modification need to be carried out at the system where the structure is created....this means all the developments involving the IDOC willl need a change as the IDOC itself is changed:)

same logic applies for RFC, webservices.....etc