cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVSEND with Drill down capability?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all:

I think I have read it somewhere in this forum that it is not recommended to use EVSEND in drill down input schedule templates.

Does anyone know the downside of it? If I use only EVEXP and not have conflict with EVDRE, why would it pose a problem when EVGTS is working fine in drill down reports but not EVSEND in input template?

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Brian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

My opinion on the use of EVGET, EVSND, is that each cell is a query to the DB. The EVDRE will allow you to perform both GET and SENDs in one drill down template and send the results in a single process, rather than as multiple requests. In the case of a drill down using evsnd, the only hard part would be that the send statements at the parent level would error out during the process of sending, thus confusing a user, since the expansion range or ranges would need the send statement to begin the expansion process. The issue isn't so much the EV function itself, but rather how the query engine processes the data back to the database that I would hesitate to recommend the approach. EVDRE should be a better, faster process.

Hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Petar:

Thank you for your input..

To further comment on your reply:

1) For the Parent Level EVSND cells (at aggregated level), as long as their values are not updated, EVSND won't send these and cause errors. But again, it is another layer of security one has to add on to prevent users from changing the aggregated values.

2) The reason that we are not using EVDRE anymore is because our business processes still use the traditional custom excel workbooks for reporting purpose. It is much efficient and consistent by taking the workbooks and shoving EVGTS and EVSND into the cells.

Have you seen situation like mine? Is there a better approach to it? And what is your long term goal, to continue to have users design static excel workbooks and put in EVGTS/EVSND, or to transform them to EVDRE environment?

Have a great weekend!

Answers (0)