cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valuation for Customer Returns

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I understand that when goods are returned by a customer they are first placed into 'returns' stock. This is non-valuated stock. When the decision is made to put the goods into inventory (mvt 453), the system posts an FI document to valuate the returned goods based on the current price in the material master.

So, here are my questions:

1. Is my understanding above accurate?

2. If we wish to put the goods back into stock, but at a reduced value (i.e. at a cost that is lesser than the current price in the material master), how would we accomplish that?

Thanks!

Anisha.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. Yes.

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/a5/63360a43a211d189410000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

Depending on how Customizing for Sales is configured (the movement type is configured in the step Define Schedule Line Category), the delivery is posted to the following stock:

- Blocked stock returns (non-valuated, not unrestricted-use) (movement type 651)

- Unrestricted-use stock (movement type 653)

- Quality inspection stock (movement type 655)

- Blocked stock (movement type 657)

If the given quantity is posted to blocked stock returns first, you can make a manual goods movement posting in the Inventory Management component to transfer the quantity to valuated stock.

2. You can't as per my best knowledge. The price in material master (accounting view) is valid for your whole (own)stock. What you can do is to revaluate your inventory via MR21 after having moved the goods into your own stock.

Regards,

Csaba

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your nice reply.

Should I consider split valuation as an option here?

We may choose to put the returned goods into stock... but at a lesser cost than the rest of the inventory.

However, I am not sure how the split valuation functionality integrates with the customer returns process.

Csaba, or anyone else with experience... please advise.

Thanks,

Anisha.

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, you can use split valuation for this purpose since different valuation types may represent different grades of quality:

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/47/61017149f011d1894c0000e829fbbd/frameset.htm

For certain materials, it is necessary to valuate the various stocks in a particular valuation area separately. Reasons for this include:

-Different origins of the material

- Different grades of quality for the material

- Different statuses for the material

- Differentiation between in-house production and external procurement

- Differentiation between different deliveries

You have to create the batch master (MSC1N) with proper valuation type before posting GR in connection with your return delivery. Disadvantage of this soultion that traceabilty won't work - I mean you sent your goods with batchA to your customer but via return delivery you will receive batchB.

Regards,

Csaba

Edited by: Csaba Szommer on May 13, 2009 9:14 AM

Answers (0)