Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Recover database using online netbackup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Our Database is Oracle 9i on Solaris

We have online netbackup running everyday. Also, setup archive logs via DB13.

Here question is Can we recover the database using online netbackup and archive logs if at all database crashes?

Please let me know.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies; but my question was "Can we recover database using online netbackup with archived logs"

We do have whole database online plus redo log back up and online netback up everyday.

So, just forget about the DB13 or BR tool backup methods for time being.

As I said we do have Full online netbackup ( OS level Backup) everyday; Can we recover database using Full online net backup?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, we have the same thing on ora10/solaris

mohammed_anish
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can restore the database from the online backup you have, and then recover it to time before failure by applying the logs, provided you have taken the taken the online backup according to the methods oracle says, eg: using RMAN or else by taking the tablespace in backup mode and then taking the backup etc..etc..(using OS copy commands while database is online will NOT work)

Also, because you are using the word 'netbackup', which happens to be a veritas backup software solution, there is a confusion. Are you using it for the backups..?

regards,

Anish

Edited by: Mohammed Anish on May 16, 2009 10:42 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anish

Sorry for the delayed response

I am not sure which tool is used for online net back up(File system backup) since it is done by our OS team.

So, my question is on the same. can we recover database using online netbackup (File Systems backup) and our regular archive logs?

Please let me know further.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by: Kasinath Parepally on Jul 14, 2009 7:33 PM

former_member475159
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kashinath,

I am just giving you your answer not describing how you can do it.

Yes you can restore/recover your database using online backup and archive logs.

Let me explain you in detail.

Suppose your online backup start time : 10:30 IST (14.07.2009) End Time : 12:30 IST (14.07.2009)

With the help of the above backup you can restore the database till 10:30 IST but you will also required an archive log that will be generated during the backup i.e

between 10:30 to 12:30.

You will get the archive log information from archSID.log file present in saparch directory.

You will able to recover/restore the database till the time you have the archive logs.

NOTE : From restore/recover from online backup you will required atleast one archive log.

Please tell whether your confusion is cleared or not

Thanks

Debdeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

If recover/restore not possible then what is the meaning of daily online backup /archive backup.

U can read online brrecover help below is the link

[original link is broken]

U can also download pdf ORACLE (SAP BRTOOLS) RESTORE RECOVER.pdf

Bye

Surendra Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes you can Restore the DB using BRTOOLS. Below link tells how to restore & recover DB using BRTOOLS.

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/DE/39/45583eb05a4644e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Also check SAP Note 605062 - FAQ: Restore and recovery

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Sushil

0 Kudos

Hi

Are you taking backing via DB13 ? If DB13 , possible to restore the database using brrestore commands.

Regards

Ravi.S

Former Member
0 Kudos

check out

[https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/ora?rid=/webcontent/uuid/1cc71b42-0d01-0010-7f91-f352b58078cf] [original link is broken];

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think you mixed up two things. You need to use the brtools utility called brbackup for online or offline backup. Once this command line runs then the backup software can pick the data files and store it on the tape or some other location.

Yes if you have done the online backup then you can restore the database till the point of crash. I would prefer using the brtools tools for consistency. If you miss even one file then you are screwed.

Please let me know if you would like me to elaborate more.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kasi,

Are you doing a complete database daily or are you doing partial backups?

Also, are you mirroring the Online redo log files?

Safe option would be to take up the complete DB backup daily and also mirror the redo log backup.

If you are doing this, then yes, you can recover the database till the point of the latest redolog file time stamp.

Regards,

Hari Kishan.