cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to convert a log backup to SQL statements?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

have a way to convert a log backup to SQL statements that can be used by loadercli or other tool?

i wish this for two reasons:

1. have a running database only for queries and wish to update with new data.

2. if i active a log per hour and activate Database Analyzer i can inspect the log information to check SQLs statements with problem, instead to activate diagnose monitor.

best regards.

Clóvis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Clóvis,

have a way to convert a log backup to SQL statements that can be used by loadercli or other tool?

No, there is no way to do that.

The information in the log area and the log backups actually don't contain SQL statements but instructions for modifying entries of internal database files. These files are usualy tables - but the modification is done 'below' the SQL layer.

i wish this for two reasons:

1. have a running database only for queries and wish to update with new data.

Not quite sure what you mean here.

But what you can do is:

- copy your database to a second instance.

- create a snapshot in that copy.

- open the instance so that you can do your reporting.

When you want to get the latest data into the copy:

- shutdown to admin mode and restore the snapshot

- recover the log backups or incremental backup

- create a new snapshot

This scheme is used by SAP customers for training and test systems.

2. if i active a log per hour and activate Database Analyzer i can inspect the log information to check SQLs statements with problem, instead to activate diagnose monitor.

Hmm... usually you would be interested in SELECT statements - these are never written to the LOG, as these don't manipulate data.

Best regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

about case 1, to make this on-line without need to restart database copy what changes from origin to destiny dont have a way? like an export from last complete backup then?

best regards.

Clóvis

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> about case 1, to make this on-line without need to restart database copy what changes from origin to destiny dont have a way? like an export from last complete backup then?

Sorry, but there is no way to have this done online.

Snapshots do freeze the whole database at a certain state - when you do this online, you need to somehow let the connected session know that they are now working on a different database.

In fact you need to relogon each session to be sure that the credentials are still valid.

Why is this a problem for a reporting instance?

Why do you at all need a second instance for that?

If you really need to avoid downtimes, you probably want to have a look at the synchronization manager component of MaxDB. With this you can move data from your primary instance to your reporting database online.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

i need what synchronization manager component do, but i cant find how to install or configure that, is this for OpenSource users?

best regards

Clóvis

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> i need what synchronization manager component do, but i cant find how to install or configure that, is this for OpenSource users?

Weired... when I use the forum search function and put in 'synchronization manager' I get:

on the first result page alone.

In each of those threads there are links to the documentation (which is searchable as well...).

Where exactly did you look for information on the sync-manager?

regards

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i tried to find in 7.7 documentation i will try to configure and install following the 7.6 documentation, but checking those threads appears that isnt a good way to use Synchronization Manager, as that will be dropped in future versions, right?

regards

Clóvis

Answers (0)