Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

SDN Forum points vs Sun Forum Duke Dollars

I believe that a points system is a great way to encourage participation by the community in problem solving.

With the points system in SDN, however, there is room for abuse, for example, by having people you know award points to you on threads.

I personally like the points reward system (Duke Dollars) on Sun's Developer Forums. In this scheme, you work with credits. Every user is given a certain amount of points (Duke Dollars) when they join. When you post a question, you can assign a number of Duke Dollars up front from your available credit as a reward to entice responses. You can also accumulate more Dollars by answering threads which have Dollars assigned.

Every month, Sun gives a gift to the user who has accumulated the most points.

I'm not sure that this solves the problem of users not assigning points for valid help, but, because users are working with limited credit, it does force them to be careful when assigning points, and prevents abuse as that mentioned above.

I would like to hear what other people think about this scheme. Perhaps there are aspects I have not considered.

Regards,

Martin

Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question