Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP installtion stopped - error cant create shared memory

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Greetings!

We are trying to install SAP ECC 6.0 IDES system on Windows 2003 x64 Server and DB2 9.1, during the process of installation - in the step of Start Instance. The sapinst Gives Up! the process since the enqueue server is found in stopped state when the instance tries to start up.

I found the below given error message from the Developer Trace files of the enqueue server.

[Thr 1384] Sat May 09 18:21:13 2009

[Thr 1384] *** ERROR => ShmDelete: Invalid shared memory Key=34. [shmnt.c 719]

[Thr 1384] *** ERROR => ShmCleanup: ShmDelete failed for Key:34. [shmnt.c 793]

[Thr 1384] initialize_global: enqueue server without replication

[Thr 1384] Enqueue: EnqMemStartupAction Utc=1241873473

[Thr 1384] *** ERROR => [CreateOsShm] CreateFileMapping(37,65 KB) failed with Err=5

ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED: Access is denied. [shmnt.c 2174]

[Thr 1384] *** ERROR => ShmCreate: Create (37,67072,1) failed [shmnt.c 506]

To note - we had a virus attack on the server recently and an Anti-Virus tool was used to clean the server, after that I found most of the SAP folders in Read-Only mode.

I suspect any causes of the same for the above mentioned ACCESS_DENIED error. Currently I have allocated 28GB of swap size, but the SAP instance is not able to create a shared memory from the same I hope.

Num

Pagefile

Min.Size

Max.Size

Avail.Max

Curr.Size

c:\pagefile.sys

8192000 K

8192000 K

8192000 K

8192000 K

e:\pagefile.sys

10485760 K

10485760 K

10485760 K

10485760 K

f:\pagefile.sys

10485760 K

10485760 K

10485760 K

10485760 K

Please help me with your suggestions for the workaround,

- How will I be able to enable the swap size of the server to be used by the SAP instance?

- Is this the effect of the anti-virus or an aspect in windows server to change the folders and files to read-only after a virus attack?

I have tried the possibilities of adding more shared memory, removing the shared memory and restarting the OS and assigning back the same, but these dint prove useful.

Kindly help me with your suggestions.

Thank you

Regards,

Vineeth

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

restart your server and start again

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

It may be a problem with address space fragmentation. You should take a look at the note 129813 and use the address space viewer to verify if this is the case,

Regards,

David

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

nick_griffin
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello,

We too just ran into this issue today with the same error in the event log after rebooting our SRM cluster (multiple times). We had to temporarily disable the AntiVirus to bring the cluster resources online and then was able to start the instances. After that, the AntiVirus was started and did not cause an issue however since this was a production system we won't be able to test if this will be an issue again until after hours at a later date. This seems very odd as we've been running this product for a year and a half, and today after a reboot is when we have the same issue as you did... maybe the dat file has an issue with SAP products? That's a far fetch but thanks for finding the solution to your issue as it has also helped us with a production outage issue.

Thanks,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Restarting the server should help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to everyone for the response.

The problem was the Anti-Virus software that was installed in the server, I tried all the possibilities including restarting the server, changing the Swap-size etc, but once I deactivated the Anti-Virus services and tried to start the SAP instance I was able to be successful and was able to continue with the installation.

Once again thank you for the response.

Regards,

Vineeth

debasissahoo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would suggest you to go to run > services.msc

now try to manually stop / start the SAP<SID>_<nr> services. are you able to start it properly? If you get error here, that means SAP services not able to start as it has permission problem.

login with <sid>adm & reregister the service by running sapstartsrv.exe in <drive>:\usr\sap\SID\sys\exe. after you give the parameters and press ok, wait for sometime for the 'success' message.

once its done, then start sap in MMC.

another thread talks about similar kind of problem.

Regards,

Debasis.