cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

making field mara-maktl not mandatory in mm02/mm01

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello sdn people,

hopefully the economy is not in peril where you are...

as my subject line states, i have checked the transactions OMSR / OMS9 and it shows that the field should be display, but it is still required. i would like to turn this off so that this field is not required.

any thoughts? any ideas?

thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mauro_bianchi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Erik,

In the Standard System it will not be possible to save the material if the material group is not ready for input or if it has no value (if it is initial).

You must correct your field selection Customizing for the material group (MARA-MATKL) in Customizing Transaction OMSR accordingly, so that you can maintain the material group in the material master.

Basically, If the purchasing view is filled (ie. the material is eligible for purchasing), the material group (MARA-MATKL) become mandatory.

Thus, the customizing has no effect in this case. If you only fill the Basic view and NOT the Purchasing view, the customizing will have thedesired effect in your System.

The reason for this is that the purchasing programs require this field and MUST be filled in the material master (It is 'hardcoded' this way).

The only way to avoid the error would be to do a modification into the source code !!!

Greetings from Italy,

Mauro

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you all for your answers.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Erik,

Material number and material group are the basic keys for a purchasing and as a best practice you should always maintain the material group for all the Purchasing transactions.

Anyway if still you want to change the field status use the transaction code OMSR.Here you can change the field as optional or mandatory..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

How do you plan to go about the procurement of text items? Do not you think it would be essential for some kind of report based upon Material group for text items as you will be turining of the the field to optional instead of manadatory? Just give a thougt before going for it.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

In OMSR,I have checked for this.. It is possible to change the field as optional or mandatory..

Pleas echeck it again..If not possible please tell us the error or message what u get..

karthick

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it is just required . if you purchase without material number, then SAP is asking for a material group too.

Material number and material group are the basic keys for a purchasing analysis. in purchasing info structures.

If you dont want to use it, then just define one material group called Dummy and always use this one.