Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BRRESTORE query

former_member759680
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a full offline backup of my SAP system. My query is -

what exactly is the difference between manually copy-paste of all the data files in their respective directories and using BRRESTORE?

Is that all BRRESTORE does, replace the data files from the backup?

Thanks?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Gautam,

you're right - actually BRRESTORE is not the most powerfull tool on earth.

Anyhow, it knows where you made your backups to and knows how to get them back.

The real advantage of it comes up, when you not simply use BRRESTORE for a half-manual kind of system restore, but when you use it together with the other BR*TOOLs.

Via the menu system of BRTOOLS you'll start BRRECOVER. That tool is really clever as it figured out, what datafiles need to be restored, and what needs to be recovered.

It will in turn fire up BRRECOVER to bring back all required files - control files, data files, archive log files ... and perform the database recovery.

You don't have to type in anything in sqlplus - it's all done by the tools.

Plus you get a ton of logging - so in case of any errors you at least have a chance to figure out what went wrong.

regards,

Lars

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gautam,

If you have full backup of source system, deffenately you can use BRRESTORE to restore all respective files into target system.

As your database is small, if you have the chance to get proper downtime for source system, you can copy all datafiles, controlfiles from source to target system.

If you are restoring database from backup tape using BRRESTORE, there is no need to take downtime for source system. But for manual copying of files you should take downtime.

Regards

Nick loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Gautam,

Just like difference between drag&drop and copy&paste.

But in normal scenarios that is not possible to copy all files manually, untill unless your database is very small. To avoid time consumption, the best method is to take backup and restore. It will restores all datafiles and controlfiles, which got backedup during brbackup. In manual copy you need to copy all files whatever you need to restore.

Regards

Nick Loy

former_member759680
Contributor
0 Kudos
Just like difference between drag&drop and copy&paste.

Sorry Nick, I didn't get this line. So are you saying that manually copy-paste is same as brrestore?

We have a relatively new and small database as of now(hardly 50 GB). So I guess, I will just delete the original datafiles and control files and copy them from the backup in their respective directories.

Thanks.