cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binding Port 25 (SMTP) to all Servers in an SAP System (for inbound e-mail)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have set up inbound e-mail in my SAP system and it works fine, however it will not allow me to bind port 25 to more than 1 application server at the same time.

This means that there is 1 point of failure.

How can I bind port 25 to more than 1 application server? Or is there an alternative solution that I should be looking at?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you run several application servers on one physical machine? If not then I don't understand your question...

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, in our QA environment we run 3 SAP servers, each on separate physical servers.

Port 25 is defined in the DEFAULT profile like this:

is/SMTP/virt_host_1 servera*:25;

is/SMTP/virt_host_0 serverb*:25;

is/SMTP/virt_host_2 serverc*:25;

icm/server_port_1 PROT=SMTP,PORT=25,HOST=servera.uk.deloitte.com

icm/server_port_0 PROT=SMTP,PORT=25,HOST=serverb.uk.deloitte.com

icm/server_port_2 PROT=SMTP,PORT=25,HOST=serverc.uk.deloitte.com

After restarting the SAP system (all servers), transaction SMICM shows that only 1 of the 3 systems has port 25 active.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> After restarting the SAP system (all servers), transaction SMICM shows that only 1 of the 3 systems has port 25 active.

Make sure on all three servers you executed the "saproot.sh" script in the kernel directory.

Check if the owner of the program "icmbnd" is "root" and that the sticky bit is set. Otherwise the application can't bind the port.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry I should have said, we are running on a purely Windows environment.

I am aware that you need to enable external binding in UNIX to allow binding of ports under 1024, but this is not required in Windows.

So I think your suggestion was only valid for UNIX environments...?

Thanks.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> So I think your suggestion was only valid for UNIX environments...?

Yes - true.

Are you running maybe an IIS on that boxes that have the SMTP plugin installed?

Check the trace files dev_icm in the work directory...

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually it appears that transaction SMICM only shows the port as being active on the server that you are currently logged onto with the SAP GUI.

If I go to SM51 and log onto another application server, then go to SMICM, it shows port 25 as being active in that server.

So in fact port 25 was bound on all servers, it's just that the screen in transaction SMICM did not reflect this.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do u mention Domin Name on each server. and set the parameter entry of "icm/server_port_1="

check once again.

Thanks

Presu

dilip_choudhury
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

We have a problem to receive the Inbound email from exchanges server to SAP. We have window base SAP installation ECC 6.0. Do you have any document guide line how to set this process.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you want to use the SAP system as mail server you need to forward all mails to the SAP system instead of exchange.

Markus

dilip_choudhury
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Markus

Thanks for your reply

We are expecting the inbound email from Vendor to SAP. I think we need to setup Vendor e mail server and SAP inbound i,e Port setup to receive inbound mail in SAP

Dilip

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We are expecting the inbound email from Vendor to SAP. I think we need to setup Vendor e mail server and SAP inbound i,e Port setup to receive inbound mail in SAP

The problem you will have is: How should your email server know, what is a "vendor"? You might need to add them manually to Exchange and forward them to an address on the SAP system.

Markus

dilip_choudhury
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

There is SAP note " 455140 which explain both way comunication config. We ae going to follow the same process for config our process.

Thanks

Dilip