cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Client" concept going away?

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP Consulting told my client yesterday that SAP was going to be removing the "client" capabilities in the future. I've never heard of this and believe it would affect the 100K installations of R/3, completely changing the way you can establish your development environments / transport paths. Has anyone heard of this before?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well this is happening again... SAP has told a customer that the use of Client is going away in the 2007 timeframe. Anyone else heard of anything like this? (see previous postings in this thread for more details.)

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jon,

I have not heard of this restriction. Multiple ABAP clients is supported with SAP NetWeaver 2004s and mySAP ERP 2005 so they will be around for a long time (at least until 2014 - the end of extended maintenance dates for both software products).

If I find out more information, I will add it to this thread.

I hope this helps,

Mike.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Could you provide more details on the same. This is someting new and have never heard about the same as well. Would like to have a better picture for this. Could you explain what exactally you mean.

Cheers

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Certainly. As you know all of the SAP apps based on ABAP utilize Clients. While these may have originally been designed to host multiple different business units, geographies, or even companies inside the same instance, the more common use of the clients today are for the development lifecycle. For example, you may have a Gold client (100), a test client (101), a conversion test client (102), a training client, etc. that all have the same configuration but different data based on the users of each client.

Transports are setup to move updates between clients until the final configuration and objects are ready to move into production (client 200, for example) with only 1 client typically running in the production instance.

We're in the process of creating a client/instance strategy for a large customer, and defining our client strategy for the non-production clients, SAP's consulting group came and and said something to the effect of "SAP's getting rid of the client concept, so you don't want to use them in your development landscape today". We've never heard of this and talk to Walldorf on a regular basis, so am trying to find out if anyone else has heard the same or if this was just someone trying to create some uncertainty with our customer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Thanks for the details. I also agree with Rich, i really doubt if this could happen.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

VJ

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I have not heard of that, and I highly doubt that this is true. The entire foundation of the core is built on the fact that you can have multiple clients. Doesn't make sence.

Regards,

Rich Heilman