cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transports -Procedure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts:

can someone tell me the process of transports.

To be specific:

1. when we create a object in dev, we need to assign a request for that object. it will be saved under a package(Z**). so, how do we transport this object to the dependent objects?

2. when we install Business content, again we need to give assign a request. do we need to follow any procedure for assigning the requests?

3. assuming that, i have assigned a request for TR/UR/IC.. how do i transport them to QA?

4. my big concern is about the "sequence" of installation/creation of objects. do we need to follow any prescribed way?

i have read some previous posts and also got some good docs. but honestly, it was too lengthy and hard to figure out the flow. i would be glad if some one can tell me the concept of transports with a simple example.

Thanks a lot in advance

kedar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

edwin_harpino
Active Contributor

hi Kedar,

hope understand your question correctly ...

1. '...how do we transport this object to the dependent objects?'

a bit confused ... 'to dependent objects' means ?

we do transport the dependent objects first, or we included them in the same request.

2. normally we didn't create request directly for business content installation, (option 'install and transport' but only option 'install'), since we will need to evaluate first the business content and may do some customization. after everything modeled and tested, then time to transport, it's suggested to separate the requests (for performance and problem allocation), normally we use infocube as starting point for objects collection with grouping 'only necessary objects', then 'in dataflow before', and 'in dataflow afterwards'.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/0b/5ee7377a98c17fe10000009b38f842/frameset.htm

3. first we released the request in dev, use se09/se10.

then call STMS (can from dev or QA) and import the request.

4. 'sequence', dependent objects go first, and try to transport objects in separate requests rather than 'one go'. you can use 'only necessary objects', then 'in dataflow before', then 'in dataflow afterwards'.

we discuss this in some threads, i think you have read them already, you always do your homework

hope this helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks A.H.P and Buddhi for your replies.

Honestly, i framed my question in avery bizzard way. i apologize for this. i am really confused and cant figure out what you answered to me as my level of understanding with regards to CTS is very minimal.

i would be really delighted, if you give me some links

FROM WHERE TO START, either in help or docs. may be i shd understand CTS before i ask. problem, is i wonder where to start with.

also, can you tell me who will transport the objects in real time--- BW consultant or the team lead?

kedar

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kedar

to start with

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/b5/1d733b73a8f706e10000000a11402f/frameset.htm

Docs i sent are good enough after u read this

-Doodle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all experts:

Thanks for sending me the related links, docs and sharing your expert knowledge. i assigned points to u all.

kedar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kedar,

1.when we create an object we can assign it to a develpment class like zdevclass or $tmp local objects.As u know $tmp objects cant be transported.When you collect it with before and after mode the dependent objects will be collected if any.

2.You better need to have a procedure

for ex:all bex dev goes into zbwbex dev class; other objects go to zbwdev class.Also give clear descriptions

to both the class and requests.

3.when you assign set of tr/ur/ic to a request, got to se09 you can see all the objects that you have assigned to this particular request.you got to release this

request inorder to move it to QA using STMS/Solution manager

4.Sequence of moving objects is always important.infoobjects,ds,tr,is,ur,ods,ic,queries,roles,workbooks ..

all the above stuff has been clearly explained in the docs i sent

Message was edited by: Doodle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Answers:

1 Package which you are mentioning is called Development Class.

In general we create one development Class for all BW Objects (Name can be ZBIW/ZBW) and we assign all development objects which we created in to this development Class.

2 There is no specific rule or sequence to assign requests as you know system prompts and it automatically generates the request number.

3 Check this link for 3rd question

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e3/e60138fede083de10000009b38f8cf/frameset.htm

4 Again sequence depends on your requirement for example if you want to activate Project System standard business content cube “0PS_C04”. Pull this object while activating and choose the option before and After so automatically system activates corresponding Info sources, queries and others.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e3/e60138fede083de10000009b38f8cf/frameset.htm

Example:

In the development system if you change one of the transfer rule in the transfer structure. In order all the systems to be in Synch. You need to transport these changes to QA and Production system so that these transfer rules will be the same in all the systems.

Please post if you need further clarifications

Hope this helps

Thnaks

Sat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kedar;

To simply answer your questions; the easy way is you must be careful that for the same objects you should not save into different requests. So, fist save the objects in one package and the objects in one request(associated objects should goes in one) You can use the same package for all of your request. For example: we just one package that we use all the time for BW transport and one for R/3 side for BW changes.

Dependency is also important for example you need to have Infosource assigned while creating update rules for the cube. So, if your Infosource is not saved in the same request you will get an error message during the transport.

HOpe this helps.

BK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kedar;

To simply answer your questions; the easy way is you must be careful that for the same objects you should not save into different requests. this means that suppose the infocube contains infoobjects,applicationcomponent,datasources and reports all thes will come under same objects otherwise what are the same objects.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kedar,

I have sent couple of good documents on transports.

Pls check email

Hope this Helps

-Doodle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Doodle:

I have those docs.yeah, they were helpful.

can u plz some throw some light on the above mentioned questions.

kedar