cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table Change Logging

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Our auditors have recommended we log changes made to table T000.

I've looked at table DD09L using SE16 and noticed that there are over 18,000 objects that have the PROTOKOLL field checked. If I activate parameter rec/client now then changes to all of those objects will be logged, which we don't want.

Does anybody know if there's an official SAP method of unchecking the 'Log data changes' field for all 18,000+ objects en masse? I could then just check this field for table T000 only.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

There are two parameters that control logging of changes. One is that you need to turn on logging at the client level and second is the technical setting on the individual tables itself. So during the logging process only the tables that have been marked for logging due to the second setting are selected.If you want to turn the logging on for only T000, the only way that I can think of ( albeit a little painful ) is to deselect the Logging flag for the other tables.You can turn the flag off by using the transaction SE13

You can find all the tables that are enabled for logging by querying on the table DD09L where PROTOKOLL is = âu20ACu02DCXâu20ACu2122.You could consider using a CATT Script for updating the information due to the high number of records.

"This is mentioned in the post"

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

My two cents: all tables with the logging flag on should be low traffic customizing tables. I suggest you just turn the logging on and check how many entries are generated after a while. If you observe single tables generating many entries, then just disable those.

Besides that consider a an archiving/deletion strategy for table DBTABLOGS (the table where the logging entries are stored). The archiving object is BC_DBLOGS.

Do not forget to enable the rec/client on every client, because the table T000 is client independant.

Best regards, Michael

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I am also currently reviewing the table logging setting for my tables.

However, I came across a statement in SAP Library, not to deactivate logging for customizing objects.

Link: [http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/Helpdata/EN/7e/c81ebb52c511d182c50000e829fbfe/frameset.htm]

Would like advice on the following ...

1. Does the statement refer to customizing tables ?

2. I have looked up tables with delivery class C and G; but I do not know the differences between the two

3. What is the reason not to deactivate the logging for these tables ?

Appreciate your kind advice.

Thank you very much.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Appreciate your kind advice.

Some SAP Notes are misunderstood, because activating logging for application data (e.g. transaction data) is not the intention of this logging of customizing tables.

Actually, you should have this activated in you development systems more than anywhere else...

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wes,

I agree with Micheal. Even though you have 18000+ tables with logging enabled, most of them would generate very few entries.

Please refer to SAP notes 608835, 112388 and 41300 before you could take descision on deactivating logging for all the tables.

As Michael suggested, you could activate the logging for all tables, after a while you could analyze which tables are creating lot of entries (you could use transaction TAANA) and then decide on whether you want to deactivate logging for those tables, or you want to archive those entries using object BC_DBLOGS (safest option) or whether you want to delete the entries.

Hope this helps,

Naveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

You might want to check out this section of the help site: [Activate/Deactivate Table Change Logging |http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/7e/c81ed552c511d182c50000e829fbfe/frameset.htm]

To answer your question, yes it is possible to turn off logging for specific tables but you will have to change this (outside of creating your own program) for each table.

On systems where I have turned table logging on the impact we have not noticed and impact to performance since logs are only created when changes are made to the customizing tables.

Hope that is helpful.

J. Haynes