cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to distinguish LicenseServer name

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I got a problem when I use LSRV column value in SLIC table in SBO-Common DB, the value shows <b>localhost:30000</b>,this can not distinguish the different license server, how to get the accurate license server name.

I have try to use company object licenseserver property to get it, but it returns empty string.

Thanks in advance!

Kathy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a question for you. Are you trying to get the license server name from a client or the server itself?

-M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marco,

I want to get the license server name from client or server itself, actually I query the common DB information from client side, and tried to use company object but can not get the accurate name, is there any way to get the accurate license server name instead of [localhost]?

Kathy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kathy,

You could try one of these:

1. If you are getting nothing in the license server name and localhost in the common DB, you could use the ServerName property of the Company object of UI API to get the name.

You could also use the Server property of the Company object of the DI API if you are not using named instances in your SQL installation and you installed using the default options.

2. If you are using .NET and you are trying to get the name from the server itself you could use the System.Net.Dns.re.GetHostName() to get the server name. This approach will not work from the client side.

Hope it helps,

-M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marco,

Thank you for your replying,

for the first method, I have tried using lecenseserver property in Company Object of UI API, but it returns empty string, have you ever use this property?

also I can not use server property of company object, because SBO 2005 support multi-port, if i just use server property, it's not accurate for my Add-on requirment, and I can not make sure user's SAP license server does not install in named instances of SQL server.

For the second method, I do use VB.net, but my Add-on is actually run from user's client side.

I think may be the Lecense propety of Company object should return the correct server and port, but when I use it, it returns empty string, do you know what's the problem of just get an empty string?

Thank you very much!

Kathy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kathy,

1. I have use the property and I also get the LicenseServer property empty, but in the Common DB I do have the name and port of the license server.

2. You could get the port form the Common DB and then the server name from the company object. Remember that this only works if localhost is the license server stored in the Common DB and you dont use named instances.

3. If you use .NEt you could use the System.Dns to resolve the server name based on the IP of the SQL Server (asuming that it is localhost).

4. If you can't get the server name using these methods there is always the long way :-(. Open the LIcense Administration Form (60070) and get the values of the server(27) and port(10000061) items. But I only use this as the last resource.

Hope it helps,

-M

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marco,

thank you very much for provide so many solutions,

I think may the last solution is the most accurate solution,

for the method 1, some times it saves not the license server and port just "Localhost", I see this in my domain 6 or 7 license server, only one saves "Localhost" in license column others all server name, but this may cause potential problem.

for the method 2, can not make sure if user install SAP license server to named instances.

for the method 3, it needs to get IP first, and I can try this way. I am afraid if I resolve the server name and combine with the port, it may different with the actual license server.

for the method 4, do you know if we can open the license administration form, but let it visible to false and get the item value silent? I think this way may be safe and accurate, because user also see the same License server and port.

Thanks a lot!

Kathy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kathy,

The operation through SDK is very quickly so you could get it silently using the freeze method on the main menu form.

Be very careful with the visible property because depending on the event you capture, you could "hide" the form for all users forever :-D.

Hope it helps,

-M

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kathy,

I am not sure whether I got your problem correctly, but what I am thinking is that you should configure your <b>MACHINE NAME</b> in License Server Setting. For example, in my license server, I set the license server as PVGN50050135A:30000. And then, when I refer to SLIC table, it is written PVGN50050135A:30000.

In addition, setting your license server name with machine name is what SAP recommend.

Hope this helps,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Marco and Nick,

Thank you very much,

If the SLIC table save the correct information of license server and port, then I do not need use other way to get it, just read from LSRV column value.

Now this problem solved, but some how this topic can not choose point and click stars to the answer, sorry.

Thanks a lot.

Kathy

Former Member
0 Kudos

I read all your comments and the addressed me a lot...

when I queried my SBO Common DB, the table SLIC - column LSRV does ONLY have my server name...

I am trying to upgrade my system, and the SBO Common Upgrade process is asking me for the License Server and port...

may you please give some direction to accomplish this