cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Result set is taking a long time to return results to SAP GUI

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been monitoring our XI system and trying to produce a "Monitor for Processed XML Messages". This report kept timing out so I traced it with st05 to try to get an understanding. I tracked the long running query and copied it into a SQL Server Management Studio and run it from there.

In SAP the query almost takes 8 mins to run but in QA the same query only takes 1 second. From looking at the query plan in ST05 it appears to be using the same plan so very unsure why it takes so long in SAP.

The amount of records returned are only 50ish.

Any ideas why SAP is taking so long to read return the 50 records?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Check out SAP Note 578118 - Long response times on the SAP GUI

Ravi

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member197561
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

If ST05 trace shows 8 minutes execution for this query, definitelly there is problem between ABAP server and the database itself.

If the database is different than on the QA system, then possibly could be a network problem, DB tuning problem or hardware capacity problem on that database.

The ST05 trace is taken very close to the actual database call, so it is not very likely that the ABAP server itself delays the call.

Best Regards,

Sylvia

Former Member
0 Kudos

Cheers for the responces, sound like it is the applciation layer but unsure why.

The problem was SXMB_MONI and it was only reporting on 20 records. I wouldn't have expected this transaction to have been so heavy in the Applicaiton layer.

I have also run this query in the SAP dbcockpit (ST04 - SQL Command Editor) and it completed under 1 sec, yet still 7~8 mins when run from "Monitor for Processed XML messages" in SXMB_MONI.

I have checked the buffer using st02 and they are all fine.

ST03 is show SXMB_MONI but doesn't show the reason why.

Any other ideas where to look next?

Former Member
0 Kudos

One place to check is the workload monitor. Are other transactions spending a disproportionate amount of time at the DB level or is it just this transaction? Is this a table that receives lots of updates and/or deletes? If so, then think about updating the table stats to see if that helps.

In ST03N, switch to the Service Engineer mode and look through the ranking lists that appear below. If your program appears here, double-click the enntry to see where the program is spending the most time.

Hope that helps.

J. Haynes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In SAP Request goes to Presentation layer to Application layer and then D/B and revert back this is Dialog responce time,In you'r Case ST05 it will shows the SQL Trace it is part of Dialog responce time that's way result is taking time to get from SAPGUI(Presentation Layer)

Regards

Krishna