cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantage of DMS over "Services for object" functionality

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have got very basic doubt about advantages of DMS Over existing standard functionality of SAP.

We can attach documents or files to SAP Objects using "services for object" push button ( Next to title bar).

So please answer for my below queries

1. What is the disadvantage of using Services for Object??

2. If I use services for object, then file is stored in SAP Data base or in my local drive??

Thanks and Regards,

Kiran T

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

GOS (Generic Object Services) has no versioning, no workflow, no approvals, no classification.

GOS is not suitable for technical document management, only scanned images or static documents that will not change.

GOS does store in the database (depending on which option you use) but this is not considered a secure storage for legal documents.

The use of GOS vs DMS is dependant largely on the document type. If you do use this I suggest you use the store business document option, not create attachment.

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Athol

That was good Enlightment.Can you please provide link which gives help about how to use GOS in help.sap .I want to explore it.Thanks

With Regards

Mangesh Pande

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

DMS Vs GOS

DMS- Document Management System

The Document Management System (DMS) in SAP R/3 offers the following distinct advantages over the current procedures and systems.

u2022 It avoids data redundancy, maintains consistency of data and minimizes the workload involved in entering and updating data.

u2022 In order to use large databases to the full, it is required to exchange data quickly and securely. Data can be accessed directly using electronic search tools, or find documents using known parameters.

u2022 Document distribution functionality (SAP-Workflow functionality is required)

The SAP R/3 Document Management System meets all these demanding requirements. In addition to managing documents, it also coordinates document processing. It is possible to automate the entire life cycle of a document: from document creation to document storage, its access and its update. Each document can be accessed immediately from any computer on the netwerk.

GOS-

All these DMS advantages are not available with GOS.

The Detailed PPT of comparison is sent to your id.

Regards

fapreeth

jaiswal_g1
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear fapreeth- I also need to handle same scenarios . Could you please extend ppt to my id. Thanks.

Answers (0)