cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BPC Migrate to 7.0SP03

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am trying to migrate an appset from BPC 5.1 on SQL server 2000 to a new server with BPC 7.SP03 and SQL server 2008.

Did try to export the appset from the old server and restore it on the new server, but that does not work.

Have looked at the upgrade guide, but it does not explain how to solve my situation.

What are the main steps i need to do, to be able to move my appset from the old server to the new one?

Help greatly appriciated.

Jesper

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

What exactly isn't working during the restore? Do you see specific error messages? Or does the restore complete without error, but things don't work properly afterward?

What does the 7.0 server diagnostic tell you -- everything running properly in Apshell on the new install?

I've also faced problems restoring on 7.0, when the cause was a corrupt OLAP backup from the 5.1 server. It had nothing to do with the 7.0 upgrade at all, and once I made a new backup on the 5.1 server, everything went smoothly. (But that was probably just my own particular situation.)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

It failes on the SQL import og the BAK file.

The error message is

Error. Cannot open the backup device. Operation system error 5 (Access is denied)

Jesper

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is the 7.0 server a single server, or multi-server (separate DB & app servers)? I'm not too familiar with SQL 2008, but I know on 2005 there are some options / limitations on whether a DB restore can be done from a "remote" location. From the DB server's point of view, the app server is a "remote" location.

Or are you trying to restore from a .BAK that's saved on a network share? If so, try moving it to the app server's local drive.

If neither of those apply to you, you might also look into the SQL Server documentation (or Google for info on that error). The BPC Server Manager is just kicking off a standard DB restore, under the sys admin's user privileges.

It may be that the security settings of the BPC sys admin user aren't set up properly in SQL Server. Did you perform the SQL Server install yourself? If not, check with the person who did, to make sure all the steps in the BPC install guide were followed explicitly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Found the solution to the import error.

Changed the account the SQL server and SQL server agent is running under to the BPCinstall user.

Now the restore runs with out problems.

Jesper