cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from MS SQL to Oracle/DB2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

Not sure if I post in the correct thread. But I need advice on migrating our MS SQL database to either Oracle or DB2.

From ABAP point of view, I believe the standard SAP programs and most of our customized programs are compatiable with any database. However, what are the possiblilty that programs are only catered for MS SQL DB and not the rest? Examples like what type of coding?

Need to know from functional side, do we have to do full functional testing on all the modules that we used? If not, any testing from functional side?

Many many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Janet

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I prefer a third party applpications for migrating my data, i use data loader when i was migrating mysql to mssql it work great, and it can migrate almost any database.

Download Free : http://www.dbload.com

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I prefer a third party applpications for migrating my data, i use data loader when i was migrating mysql to mssql it work great, and it can migrate almost any database.

This works for transparent tables, yes, but not for cluster and/or pool tables.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for your help. We are still reading thru to see if there are any answers to our questions.

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the info. However the thread you provided seems to be more on Basis side. Actually I am coming more from application side on which functional module areas (SD, FICO, etc....) we have to test and on ABAP side on which customized programs we should look out for to test or redevelop when migrating. Let me know if have any ideas.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Thanks for the info. However the thread you provided seems to be more on Basis side. Actually I am coming more from application side on which functional module areas (SD, FICO, etc....) we have to test and on ABAP side on which customized programs we should look out for to test or redevelop when migrating. Let me know if have any ideas.

There may be impacts - yes. Each database has its own optimizer and strategy, if you have a table or an SQL statement there may be different access paths and optimization routines for every database.

I'd say it's near to impossible to only theoretically find out how a certain application would be impacted - the only way to find that out is to do a test migration and run regression tests on each of your core applications. You may e. g. delete or create a new index or also redesign the whole statement.

Markus

vincentlim826
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Just get Heterogeneous System Copy guide from SAP and follow it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vincent,

Do you mean get the copy from SAP or search online? I tried looking for it, but I don't really know what to look for. There are too much information and not really relevant to my questions. Can you give me more details. Thanks.

vincentlim826
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Be aware of the fact, that you must have a certified migration consultant on site if you want to migrate production instances and you want to have support during/after the migration.

http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration

For a test you can try the steps I listed in

and adapt it to your OS.

Markus