cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAXDB x_server and different time zones on HPUX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the following issue with different MAXDB databases, which have to run in 2 different timezones on 1 physical system on HPUX.

When maxdb is started, all databases are running in the timezone of which the x_server process has been started in. The only solution to solve the issue until now is to restart the x_server process with the adm user of the system with the 2nd Timezone, but then all SAP systems are disconnected for some time, which has an impact on jobs, RFC connection which are cancelled.

What do we have on 1 box for timezones and MAXDB instances:

Instance NSP is EST-10EDT MaxDb 7.6

instance NYP is MET-1METDST MaxDb 7.7

instance BIP is EST-10EDT MaxDb 7.6

So if the database instance NSP is stopped, and NYP was the latest database instance which is restarted, we will have dumps in SAP that the timezone is different for DB and SAP. The only solution is then to restart the x_server process with the nspadm user, and then restart the database, and then the timezone is correct, but in the meantime the 2 other SAP systems were disconnected due to the restart of the x_server, and jobs and RFC connections were cancelled.

Is there someone who can assist me with this issue.

Jurgen De Fauw

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

actually it's not necessarily the XSERVER that starts the MaxDB Kernel.

In fact the DBMSERVER triggered by either XSERVER or DBMCLI is starting up the kernel.

So what I would try is to start the database kernels via a local connection (dbmcli -s).

Anyhow, what is a bit irritating to me: why do you at all bother in what timezone the database runs?

SAP does not use the timestamp() function of MaxDB (or any other database) but writes out its own timestamps.

So business wise you'd only have to think of the timezone difference when you look at the log files of the database.

regards,

Lars

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars,

Any idea when the new version will be available with the X_SERVER split?

we have now 7.7.04.28 and some 7.6 databases?

Jurgen

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jurgen,

> Any idea when the new version will be available with the X_SERVER split?

> we have now 7.7.04.28 and some 7.6 databases?

It'll be with 7.8 - not earlier.

And for that there is no official release date available yet.

BTW: I saw your support message you opened for this question

What really would be interesting to know is still: where exactly do you see the benefit for your business users by running the databases in their preferred timezone?

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars,

Thanks for the update.

The business wants their system in the local time of the chair office.

We have 2 at the moment, 1 in Australia and 1 in Belgium. That's why we are putting the timezone active in SAP& then also MAXDB database.

The issue we have is really that the last timezone is remembered by the X_SERVER, which start the DB of the next system with the incorrect timezone, only after a restart of XSERVER, the DB will start with the correct timezone and this is causing then issues with the SAP already running, giving cancelled jobs and cancelled RFC connections.

Is there another way then with dbmcli -s, because we have a cluster environment, and we prefer the standard way to start the SAP systems, otherwise we have to reconfigure whole our active cluster environment.

Thanks in advance for you response.

Jurgen

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Lars,

>

> Thanks for the update.

>

> The business wants their system in the local time of the chair office.

> We have 2 at the moment, 1 in Australia and 1 in Belgium. That's why we are putting the timezone active in SAP& then also MAXDB database.

But for your business the timezones of the database does not matter.

They don't even know that there is a timezone for the database.

All time-related information do come from the workprocesses only.

> Is there another way then with dbmcli -s, because we have a cluster environment, and we prefer the standard way to start the SAP systems, otherwise we have to reconfigure whole our active cluster environment.

Well, I don't even know for sure that this would have worked - it was just a best guess.

In fact, nobody ever cared about the timezone the database runs in, since it doesn't matter to the SAP users - the 'business' users.

So besides that there's not much I can tell you.

With future versions of MaxDb you'll probably be able to have multiple XServers running and thereby circumvent your "issue" by that - but that's not possible yet.

regards,

Lars