cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exports and imports while SAP is up

Former Member
0 Kudos

As a SAP Basis of many SAP ABAP instances, we sometimes get a request to export a Z table (not dependant on SAP tables) in order to protect it from possible unwanted changes due to a new program. The new program has been tested in QA, but in order to protect the data further, the client requests an export. Keep in mind that the table is not used for generic key or single record buffers. Regarding this activity, I have questions:

Q: Is it alright to do the export while the system is running, if we can be sure that noone is modifying the data?

My Answer: As a Basis I would say yes, but I would to know your opinions.

Q: In case of a problem can we import the data back?

My Answer: As a Basis I would say yes, if it is a single table with no dependancies on other tables, but again I would like your opinions?

Q: Can we do it while the instance is up?

My Answer:: In this case, I would say no, since an import means a truncate and we cannot really determine the impacts. The safe thing would be to do it while SAP is down, but I would like to know your opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Q: Is it alright to do the export while the system is running, if we can be sure that noone is modifying the data?

> My Answer: As a Basis I would say yes, but I would to know your opinions.

Depends on what you want to archieve with the export.

By using the exp/expdb tool of Oracle for just one table you will get a consistent view of the data in any case (for more tables in the export you'd use the consistent=y option).

So, yes, that might be "ok".

> Q: In case of a problem can we import the data back?

> My Answer: As a Basis I would say yes, if it is a single table with no dependancies on other tables, but again I would like your opinions?

Again: what do you do with that data?

Usually a "single table with no dependencies" is actually either crap (unused) or it does have dependencies, although not defined by foreign keys.

Think about it: you don't put data in there for nothing. You do want to do something with it.

Your programs depend on the data.

In fact that's why you want to save the table in the first place.

So there are dependencies.

And once you get the single table back in the saved version, you better know what to do with that data.

> Q: Can we do it while the instance is up?

> My Answer:: In this case, I would say no, since an import means a truncate and we cannot really determine the impacts. The safe thing would be to do it while SAP is down, but I would like to know your opinions.

WHAT?

Why does an import mean a truncate to you?

Why can't you determine the impacts?

Honestly: if you don't know the impacts, you don't know the dependencies of that table !

Why do you pursue the export/import approach at all?

Why do you want to leave the database?

You need a copy of the table.

No problem. Simply copy the table.

There are several options to do that, e.g. *create table <table_copy> as select * from <table_orig>*

That copied table can be backed up, indexed, checked as a reference...

When you need to switch back to the original table, you don't need to re-import the table.

Simply rename the original table and the copied table and you're done.

All that can be done online - without shutting down anything.

regards,

Lars

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Q: Is it alright to do the export while the system is running, if we can be sure that noone is modifying the data?

My Answer: As a Basis I would say yes, but I would to know your opinions.

no problems here

Q: In case of a problem can we import the data back?

My Answer: As a Basis I would say yes, if it is a single table with no dependancies on other tables, but again I would like your opinions?

if this is a Z table, then, no problems as long as your programmers know there are no dependencies.

Q: Can we do it while the instance is up?

My Answer:: In this case, I would say no, since an import means a truncate and we cannot really determine the impacts. The safe thing would be to do it while SAP is down, but I would like to know your opinions.

Yes, as long as this table is not used