cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MII Integration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a small weight display box (like E1010 INDICATOR )which has an output functionality and allows a connection to the back of a PC thur a USB or RS232 connector and it will feed a string of data or a value.

We want to capture this value and have it populate the Scale Wgt field automatically without the user typing in the number.

how would it be integrated with MII and which type of connector will be used

what is the best method to analyse the type of connector required for the device

Appreciate any help

Thanks

Namita

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Namita, how's it going?

Actually the solution you are looking for is outside of MII, if I understand you correctly.

Take a look at WinWedge (http://www.taltech.com/products/winwedge.html). This is basically a wire with a trigger on it that takes the output from a RS232 or USB device and "plops" on the attached client's screen where ever the cursor is, regardless of application.

If your cursor is in a text field in a web page, it will load the output there. If your cursor is in a cell in an Excel worksheet, it will load the output there.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

I am good

Thanks for the solution

you want to say that i dont need any connector its just specific to the position of cursor?

i just need to plug it in the PC and it would automatically populate in MII screens too?

Please suggest

Thanks

Namita

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's correct.

Makes it kind of simple right? Imagine if MII needed to connect to each and every RS232 device in a plant - that could be very, very messy.

Good luck.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ryan,

It was very useful link which could help us in generating useful MII reports

we will explore it little more

Best Regards

Namita

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Basically a keyboard wedge takes the output of a device, most typically a bar code scanner, and pushes it out as text from a keyboard. We have some MII applications where they use bar code scanners to input data onto the screen and they work great. Keyboard wedges are very easy to work with. For scales, typically you will have to configure the scale, or the wedge, to only send out data when the scale is stabilized, not bouncing around when you first put a sample on it. Your scale vendor can help you with that.

As far as using the output in a web page, the page just sees it as characters from a keyboard. So its really how you design the screen. You have to design your page so that the text will go into the right spot. Usually tab index 0 when the screen pops up. Some keyboard wedges are programmable, so you can add a "tab" to the end of the character string. This will let you index through text boxes on the screen if you need multiple readings. You can use and onchange event to fire a submit to push your data to wherever it is you want to do.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Doug,

Please could you let me know some links or some documents on the programming part of keyboard wedges

it will be programming language or scripting language?

Thanks

Namita

Former Member
0 Kudos

It really depends on the vendor of the wedge. Normally there is not much programming involved. Mostly its just configuration. The manufacuter of the scale would be a good place to start, they do applications like this all the time. I have had good luck with Toledo scale's tech support.