cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practise on a Disaster Recovery for ECC 6.0 Non Unicode on Oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

I made a "Disaster Recovery" - Test for our ECC 6.0 with Oracle Non Unicode on Windows. I assumed that I had a complete Hardware-loss with an Online+Archive Backup on a lto-tape from the night and a Archive Log Backup on an dlt tape from the next day.

The procedure was:

1. Installing the windows on a new machine with same partitions (same labels and size) and adding the server with the same hostname as the "crashed one" to the domain

2. Installing the Oracle RDBMS with Patches

3. Installing an "Out-of-the-Box" SAP System with Sapinst (including Database-Load) as Unicode-System (ECC 6.0 can only be "newly"-installed as Unicode)

For Restoring the Database I made the following steps:

1. Starting the point "Disaster Recovery" in brtools to restore controlfiles.

2. Putting-in the Archive Log Backup-Tape and restoring the arch<SID>.log file with brrestore -n sum_log in directory <SID>\saparch

3. Starting the point "Database Point-In-Time Recovery" and restoring the Online Backup and the Archive Log (during this procedure I had to change the init<sid>.sap File twice because brtools didn't understand that I had the Archive Files on another tape-device).

4. Replacing the "out-of-the box" unicode kernel with a non unicode kernel and changing all Unicode related registry, directory and profile entries (including NLS_LANG).

My question now is if that is the best-practise for doing a disaster recovery? Can I install a SAP out-of-the box system without doing a db load. I don't need the database when doing a recovery and it costs a lot of time.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards

Marco

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can install the SAP system without initial db:

- Install SAP with sapinst on a server where Oracle isn't installed

- Ignore the error message concerning a missing oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can install the SAP system without initial db:

- Install SAP with sapinst on a server where Oracle isn't installed

- Ignore the error message concerning a missing oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

check out

[https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/ora?rid=/webcontent/uuid/1cc71b42-0d01-0010-7f91-f352b58078cf] [original link is broken];

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj

Thanks for your answer.

That tells me that my procedure was best practise.

But unfortunately I didn't find information about:

Can I install the SAP system without the DB initial Load (and how do I do that)? The "Out-of-the-box" tables are replaced anyway when I do the restore. That is only a time loss in a disaster case.

Regards

Marco