cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relationship creation b/w Network and subnetwork

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I want to create relationship between Network and the subnetwork (FS) automatically by the system. How can i create them? When I enter network number and the activity in the subnetwork, system do not create any relationship. I have to create it manually.

Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi,

if you want to create a relationship automaticall, You could use Milstone usage function so that the subnetwork could be automatically created upon relreasing the main network activity

Regards

Srinivasa

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

THX

Former Member
0 Kudos

In General, you should not create relationship from network activity to subnetwork activities. When you create a subnetwork, it replaces the activity for scheduling and costing purposes. So you should maintain the control key of the superior activity such that it is not relevant for scheduling or costing, as mentioned by Sarang.

Regards,

Anuradha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sarang and Anurandha for the replies. I used Control Key PS05 in the activity which is converting as subnetwork. But I am not what functions I am going to get through it.

In my scenario I need to create relationship from main network to subnetwork in order to get critical path. For that i have to maintain relationship manually. Is there any way that system automatically generates the relationship between activity acting as a subnetwork and the subnetwork.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

In SPRO configure

Proj System > Structures > Operative Structures > Networks > Parameters for Sub networks

and then assign the Network and Activity on assignment tab of Netwwork. For the activity for which the subnetwork is replaced will take over that activity i.e. for example if the duration of that activity is 10Hrs then the subnetwork will have 10hrs. Also relationship wise subnetwork will replace that activity and maintain the predecessor and sucessor relationship

Thanks

Sarang

Former Member
0 Kudos

Goto the network diagram of superior network. In the prompt select the subnetwork. Then goto Edit -> Functions -> Generate Subnetwork relationships.

I think this will make things clear for you.

Regards,

Anuradha

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The logic is pretty simple.

When intially you create a project you create it with high level WBS and activities i.e. they are not in detail. But as you approach close to time when you are ready to REL the proj and execute it, you are aware of granular activities involved.

For example say you have high level Engineering activity, which you would like to split up into Mechanical,Electrical and Civil. In that case you create a network with 3 diff activities for Mech,Elec and Civil. Then you go to assignment tab of this network and mainatin the network and activity (Engineering activity in main network). As soon as you do the assignment this activity gets replaced by subnetwork and activities under it. Now the main Engg activity is initially having PS01 control key which is relevant for costing and scheduling. But as soon as the subnetwork is replaced the control key is changed to PS05 and Engg activity will not be relevant for costing and scheduling. All the costing and scheduling will be done by subnetwork (maintaning the same time schedule and cost).

In parameters for sub netwrok configuration you maintain that when subnetwork is used what should be the new control key for old activity (which is being replaced by subnetwork) and also the dates which should be copied.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Sarang

Former Member
0 Kudos

On the Network Assignments tab (CN22 or CJ20N), maintain the network number and activity number. The network will automaticaaly become a subnetwork of a given Activity.

You have to configure the control key PS05 for the same. Once the Activity is replaced by subnetwork (and also activities in that subnetwork), the control key on that actikvity will change to PS05 and that activity will not be relevant for costing and scheduling, as it is replaced by subnetwork.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Sarang