cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explanation for DB parameter settings with version 8.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to get hold of some documentation that explains the "DB2 Profile registry" parameters and also provides an insight into performance aspects when these parameters are changed.

For example-

CATALOGCACHE_SZ

LOGBUFSZ

UTIL_HEAP_SZ

BUFFPAGE

LOCKLIST

DB2_REDUCED_OPTIMIZATION

DB2_INLIST_TO_NLJN

DB2_MINIMIZE_LISTPREFETCH

DB2_ANTIJOIN

DB2_EVALUNCOMMITTED

Though standard SAP Notes are available that provide start up values for the above parameters, i would like to get documentation explaining the purpose of these parameters and their impact on performance.

thanks for your time.

regards

shaibal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

DB2_REDUCED_OPTIMIZATION

DB2_INLIST_TO_NLJN

DB2_MINIMIZE_LISTPREFETCH

DB2_ANTIJOIN

DB2_EVALUNCOMMITTED

are no initial values. They are recommended and should be set as requested by SAP.

BUFFPAGE is used as default for newly created bufferpools. If you need new bufferpools you should create it by specifying its size and don't rely on the default value.

The other parameters you have mentioned (CATALOGCACHE_SZ,

LOGBUFSZ,UTIL_HEAP_SZ,LOCKLIST) are really initial setting and need to be tuned. For this you need to check e.g. the package cache quality to tune CATALOGCACHE_SZ or the number of lock escalation to tune LOCKLIST. All those dependencies between snapshot counters and db config parameters are described in the "System Montioring Guide and Reference". The documentation gives you some rule of thumbs, but I suppose nobody can tell you exactly how much performance for example a log buffer overflow costs and how often it can occure before it has to be seen as a problem which causes a performance problem.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

johannes_heinrich
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Shaibal,

additionally I can recommend the 'Administration Guide: Performance' (see ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/products/db2/info/vr82/pdf/en_US/db2d3e81.pdf)

In Chapter 13 'Configuring DB2' you can find a detailed explanation of the parameters you mention.

Regards,

Johannes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Johannes,

could you please mail me this document since i am not able to access it from the link.My email as below-

s.mitra@sap.com

regards

shaibal