cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

time distribution / time conversion in transformation BI 7.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

Í have volumes saved in a key figure on month level (e. g. 200905) and want to distribute this volumes to week level.

So e. g., eek 200918 would get 3/31 of month 200905, week 200919 would get 7/31 of this month and so on.

Just to avoid any comments I read in other threads: this IS possible!

During tests I created a data source with several month characteristics filled as 200905, 05.2009, 052009 and experimented with internal/external format, conversion exit PERI6 andsoforth.

The source field for month was created with 0CALMONTH as model has the same data type (NUMC), length etc.

However - while creating the tranformation and creating the rule between the month of the data source and the 0calmonth I always get the error message "Automatic time conversion is not possible..."

By the way - this happens also for the rule from month (data source) to 0CALMONTH (cube).

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Julian

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI julien ,

did you found any solution for the same . if yes would you please share this with me

former_member205352
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Hi experts,

>

> Í have volumes saved in a key figure on month level (e. g. 200905) and want to distribute this volumes to week level.

> So e. g., eek 200918 would get 3/31 of month 200905, week 200919 would get 7/31 of this month and so on.

>

> Julian

In the target you should have 0CALWEEK and in source you need to put 0CALMONTH.

Choose Time characteristic as rule type in transformation.On doing this you would see description as "Time distribution" beside it.

Transfer value.Save and activate.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

sorry for my late reply, the problem still exists.

In the Source InfoCube I have the time characteristic 0CALMONTH and in the target cube I have time characteristic 0CALWEEK.

So if I create a fransormation and try to "link" 0CALMONTH to 0CALWEEK a pop-up appears "Automatic time conversion is not possible for source field CALMONTH". If I check in detail the rule details i cannont switch to rule type "time characteristic" as you described. System immediately switches back to "initial".

Also if I enter either 0CALMONTH or 0CALWEEK into field "IOAssignment" it does not work.

Any other suggestions?

Additional Information:

Long Text of the pop-up mentioned above says:

Diagnosis

Cannot establish automatic time conversion to 0CALWEEK for source field CALMONTH. The source is a DataSource and consists of fields, not InfoObjects. Time conversion can only be performed automatically for InfoObjects.

The Data Flow is DataSource -> InfoCube 1 -> InfoCube 2. The Time conversion should happen from InfoCube 1 to InfoCube 2 so the DataSource is not used in this step. On the other hand, as the error message refers to field "CALMONTH" (as it is named in data source!) and not to field "0CALMONTH" (as it is named in InfoCube)...

Edited by: Julian Golder on Sep 14, 2009 6:00 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do you have fiscal year variant on both cubes.

Regards

Akhan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Akan,

no - 0CALMONTH and 0CALWEEK respectively are the only time characteristics in the InfoCubes.

Regards,

Julian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Add Fiscal year variant to the target cube, this is required for any automatic time conversion to work. Try this.

Regards

Akhan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Akhan,

although I am convinced that I don't need 0FISCVARNT in the target cube I tried and it still doesn't work.

Regards,

Julian

dennis_scoville4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You're correct...Fiscal Variant for 0CAL* InfoObjects isn't required, because they 0CAL* are calendar date driven and not fiscal date driven as the 0FISC* InfoObjects are.

In you're case, you're trying to convert 0CALMONTH to 0CALWEEK, which is impossible. You could only convert from 0CALDAY to 0CALWEEK. You could also convert from 0CALWEEK to 0CALMONTH, but not the opposite. 0CALMONTH only has the month and year and 0CALWEEK needs a specific date to determine which calendar week that date falls into.

If you're looking to determine 0CALWEEK by using the last day of calendar month, you're going to have to convert 0CALMONTH to a calendar date (e.g. 20090930) and then use that as the conversion to 0CALWEEK (e.g. 200940). You can use the DATE_GET_WEEK Function Module to convert from calendar date to calendar week.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dennis,

as already written in my very first post please have a look into [http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/e5/f913426908ca7ee10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm] , Section Time Update.

There is exactly described that it is possible:

"You can update time characteristics with time distribution. All the key figures that can be added are split into correspondingly smaller units of time. If the source contains a time characteristic (such as 0CALMONTH) that is not as precise as a time characteristic of the target (such as 0CALWEEK), you can combine these characteristics with one another in the rule. The system then performs time distribution in the transformation."

So I consider opening an OSS message...

Regards,

Julian