cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model controllers and Application classes in WD

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can somebody give me examples of WebDynpro components which either use the concept of Model controllers or the concept of Application classes? Thanks.

Regards

Sukanya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Refer this thread:

And this :

Generally the concept of Model in WDA is fullfilled by the Assistance class object instead of a separate component.

It is better from a performance point of view. You can then save your data as attributes and only put that data in contexts were needed.

Here's help on the subject:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/EN/43/1f6442a3d9e72ce10000000a1550b0/content.htm

Thanx.

Saurav.

Edited by: Saurav Mago on May 2, 2009 11:06 PM

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>Generally the concept of Model in WDA is fullfilled by the Assistance class object instead of a separate component.

It is better from a performance point of view. You can then save your data as attributes and only put that data in contexts were needed.

While everything you said is true, there is a newer trend in Floorplan Manager applications to increasingly use a separate component as model again. With the FPM framework you can have a shared component that contains the central logic and data. While not as performant as using the assistance class because of the overhead of the context; this can be advantage in the FPM when you have separate components for each UIBB. This is not a required approach and often an assistance class is still used as an inner model within the model component; however it is important to note that the tred of a model as separate component will probably increase in the future because of FPM.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Thomas,

Thanks for sharing the infomation.

alejandro_bindi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I made the original comment / suggestion, so thanks Thomas for pointing that out, I have yet to get deeper into FPM.

Regards

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the helpful replies.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey!

You can use assistance class or service call within a Web Dynpro component.

For each Web Dynpro component, you can create a uniquely assigned assistance class. This class should inherit from the abstract class CL_WD_COMPONENT_ASSISTANCE.

You can store coding there that is required within the component, but is not linked directly with the layout or with the function of a controller. Method calls of the assistance class are much better from a performance point of view than calls of methods of a Web Dynpro controller.

The second important function of the assistance class is the management of dynamic texts. Texts that are combined at runtime only and/or contain variables can be stored in the text pool of the assistance class as text symbols.

A service call is used to call an existing function module or methods of an existing class within a Web Dynpro component.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the short yet very helpful answer !! do you know of any example WD components that I can refer to , in any landscape ? I currently work both in IFD and GTE systems.

Former Member
0 Kudos

refer : demo_common_assistance1 for Assistance Classes.

Rest you can search it. All standard WD components do exist.

Try to search it via WDR* or Demo* .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot ! Yes I had checked the WDR_* list..