cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between a WAS developer and an EP developer?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can anyone point out the main difference in development point of view for a EP dev consultant and WAS dev consultant?

I am new to EP, but need to understand how am i different from a WAS Development Consultant.

Please help in identifying the Role/Work difference in WAS and EP segment (wit respect to a Developer)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

I think that the main diference between those roles is that the EP dev, develops aplications that can only be used inside the Portal. They can be java or DotNet applications.

Normally these aplication are Iviews or Pages.

The tool used is the Portal development Kit. I know that for java applications it's the Eclipse with some specific SAP plug-ins.

The WAS developer, creates application that are independent from portal (normally they can use some function or objects of the Portal framework).

If it's a ABAP WAS, the developer uses SE80 transaction.

In a JAVA WAS it should be used the Eclipse with some SAP plug-ins (Web dynpro).

I hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Paulo Ruivo

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

<b>The SAP Enterprise Portal</b> enables a standardized, personalized, and role-based user access to your heterogeneous IT-environment. Information from SAP and non-SAP-applications, data warehouses, and desktop documents as well as internal and external Web content and Web services are consolidated centrally on one standard platform. From a user-friendly interface, you have access to all relevant data and you are able to transform unstructured information into sound knowledge.

SAP Enterprise Portal, a component of SAP NetWeaver, gives you the following functions:

<b>Portal infrastructure</b>: portal technology from the market leaders, based on open standards

<b>Knowledge Management</b>: Knowledge management: access to unstructured information, including search and classification functions

<b>Collaboration</b>: tools and services for effective collaboration between people and teams

<b>Web Dynpro</b> is SAP's programming model for developing user interfaces (UIs) for professional business applications. It is based on the flexible Model View Controller, which ensures that the UI (the presentation layer, that is) is separated from the business logic of the backend system.

This <b>model-driven approach</b> minimizes the number of lines of code that need to be written, and enables easy reuse of the UI components.

Web Dynpro is SAP's <b>strategy for developing Web applications,</b> and is therefore the strategic approach for developing content for SAP's Enterprise Portal.

Web Dynpro applications can be integrated in the portal quickly and easily. A Web Dynpro application that runs in the portal can use the portal services that are available, <b>without writing a single line of code.</b>

This <a href="http://www.jaxmag.com/itr/online_artikel/psecom,id,583,nodeid,147.html">link</a> will give you a brief overview of webdynpro.

Regards,

Pooja.