cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOA Newbie asking for help and guidance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Where can I read up on publishing web services so that an external application can access the service? I've successfully created a remote callable ABAP function module and have supposedly successfully created a web service through the wizard.

Is this all I need to do to access the web service? If so, what would be the URL?

If I need to do something using SOAMANAGER (WSADMIN is obsolete in our ECC system), I can get to the t-code, but I don't know what to do from there.

I also need to understand terms like "endpoint", "service" and exactly what I am supposed to be doing and why in SOAMANAGER.

Does the client need to be a SOAP client?

In other words... I got as far as I did and don't know what to do next, and why I have to do it.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) The endpoint says it's "Inactive". How do I make it active?

I solved this problem deleting end point and server, and create a new service and end point in soamanager.

sds

Marco Zerbini

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi to all,

Can anybody explain how to create the endpoint?

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

End point of a Web Service defines the run time behavior of the service. For example, you can provide the same service with different runtime behaviors for different consumers; one with low security and the other with high security. End point can be seen in WSDL under binding name.

When you create end point and save it, it becomes active automatically.

In SOAMANAGER Web Service Adminstration option, in overview tab of a selected service, you can click the link 'Open WSDL document for selected binding' to see the WSDL.

Thanks,

Venu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Venu,

Great info!!!

Two more questions and I think my quest for knowledge will be satisfied, at least temporarily.

1) The endpoint says it's "Inactive". How do I make it active?

2) How do I locate the URL for the endpoint? Is that in the WSDL? I can't see the WSDL, but I am guessing that's because of #1 above, i.e. it's not active.

Kind Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have setup end points for few services in our system recently using SOAMANAGER. After creating the end point and save, it becomes active automatically. I could not see any other 'Activate' option. We are on SP15 and ERP Enhancement Pack3.

Regarding WSDL, your guess may be right.

Please try creating end point again and still problem exists, you may contact Service Market Place.

Thanks,

Venu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wardell,

Please check the following things and then try to get the End Points activated. As Venu has already mentioned if all the configurations etc are correct the Endpoint gets activated automatically when you save it.

1. Does you service has multiple operations? Check the WSDL file you have used for creating the Endpoint. The tag <operation name> will have the name of the different operations for that service.

If yes then your end point would have multiple operations added. You have to provide the URL for the individual operations if it is not present already (which I think is the reason the Endpoint is not active). You can use the URL provided in the tag <operation soapAction> (It will linked to the operations in your WSDL).

Try adding these to the binding section for each of the operations and then save.

2. The Enpoint URL can be found in the WSDL in the tag <address location>.

Please check the above and get back if you still have issues.

Regards

Barada

Former Member
0 Kudos

When I go try to view the WSDL I receive an error page that says the URL cannot be accessed due to "Forbidden".

To me this indicates I don't have the necessary authorization, which could explain why my web service won't activate.

Where can I find the necessary security authorizations for SOAMANAGER?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wardell,

Ask your Basis team add the following Authorization Role for you.

I exactly sure about the role, but it would either be

SAP_BC_WEBSERVICE_ADMIN or SAP_BC_WEBSERVICE_ADMIN_TEC.

Regards

Barada

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

After creating Web Service definition with wizard, you have to define configuration of the Web Service in each client. This is done using transaction SOAMANAGER. In Business Administration tab, select Web Service adminstration and search for your web service. Then select the button Apply Selection. Now you can see the Configuration tab where you can create End Points. You can define multiple end points with separate security requirements to be consumed by different consumers.

Click on the option 'Option WSDL document for selected binding' to get WSDL.

Thanks,

Venu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Venu,

Thanks for the info! This has helped a lot.

Now that I've created an endpoint... Just exactly what is an endpoint in practical terms. Is it something phyiscal or is it a logical name for the function module in ECC?

Unfortunately, the Service/Endpoint has an inactive status. How do I make it active?

Once all that is done, where do I find the URL for the web service?

Thanks!!