SAP for Public Sector Discussions
Foster conversations about citizen engagement, resource optimization, and service delivery improvements in the public sector using SAP.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grants Management Configuration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am new to Public Sector. We are doing implementation for a social service organisation.

Can anybody help me understand the do and dont of Grants management w.r.t configuration.

Thanks,

Srikanth

8 REPLIES 8

paul_abrahamson_sap
Active Participant
0 Kudos

This is a rather vague question, if you have any specific areas of concern, it might help to have a more focused enquiry.

0 Kudos

I am trying to maintain integration between Grants Management with MM, SD, FI & PS.

In our case, whenever a grant is received we post to restricted fund and track all the expenses/procurements made against the grant recd.

First to go I want to understand how I can maintain the integration between these modules.

Looking forward for your inputs.

Thanks,

Srikanth

0 Kudos

GM is usually implemented with at least a minimal implementation of FM (Funds Management). Within FM there is full integration with FI and CO, so that when standard FI and CO transactions are posted, there is a derivation of account assignments relating to FM and GM, so for example the FM Fund, Functional Area, Funded Program, Fund Centre, Commitment Item etc are all derived from the Cost Object and GL account being posted to e.g. WBS element or Cost Centre or Order. GM integration then kicks in with GM Derivation for Grant Sponsored Program and Sponsored Class and this can be derived from the relevant GL account or Cost Element.

There are many different possibilities for configuring the derivation of these account assignments and it will be dependent on your requirements.

Essentially the Fund represents the 'internal' or 'external' amounts in terms of cost sharing. So if the organisation has to partly fund the research project, these amounts a represented by postings to the internal fund. Postings to the external fund represent the Sponsor's funding.

Within FI/CO you post to to a specific cost object e.g. WBS Element, Cost Centre or Order and to a GL account or cost element. From this the FM and GM integration is derived by going through two derivation strategies FMDERIVE and GMDERIVE. These strategies need to be maintained to meet your account assignment requirements. The derivation strategies are maintained in transactions FMDERIVE and GMDERIVE.

There's a lot to the entire configuration and customising needed for setting up the GM Special Purpose Ledger which I would expect you to have access to SAP documentation and / or training notes. Have you done any of the customizing yet and / or been on GM training? There's too much to cover in this area to provide this all on the forum. This was a 6-9 month implementation project on our system with setting it all up on a 'sandpit' environment to learn and make mistakes etc, and then finally to configure it all again on our development environment for release into test and then live.

Good luck, but I would suggest you either seek the advice and help from SAP consulting or go on the training course.

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your quick reply. I know Fund Management to some extent theoritically, which will be tested now. Regarding, Grants Management i am trying to get some documentation which can help me configure the system.

As of now i am refering to sap online help.

can you forward me any documentation available with you? it would be of great help. my id is srikanth1901atgmail.

0 Kudos

I do wish I could help you more, but the training and consulting materials we have are under copyright of SAP. I suggest you contact your SAP account manager to see what other resources they may have or even make publicly available, if the help files are not sufficient. Sorry I can't be of more general help.

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your mail. Yep, i do understand what you're say and i agree with you.

Anyway thanks for all the guidance.

Thanks,

Srikanth

0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

The moment I activated funds management, the leading ledger maintained earlier got deleted. I had maintained it once again.

Do i need to maintain a separate Ledger for Funds & Grants management?

Thanks,

Srikanth

0 Kudos

We have only done a minimal implementation of FM to support the Fund Account aspects which integrate with GM, so we don't actually have an FM split ledger configured so I can't give you advice on how to create both ledgers, On our system the GM split ledger is ledger number '90'. I would assume if you are having both FM and GM, you'd need separate special purpose ledgers and split processors setup for this.

I wouldn't like to give any specifc advice on this as our config was setup by another collegue when I had just joined the project and so I never got to grips with this side of the GM config. We also consulted with some SAP FI-SPL experts to help set it up. So I'm likely to lead you astray rather than give you constructive help on this specific area. Feel free to post with other GM-related config questions you may come across.