cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing current production SID to new SID.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello there,

I have a question on changing current SID name to new SID name. We are planning on moving our current production hardware to new better hardware and change the PRD(old) to PRD(new). Is anyone out there (customers) who had done this before, and what would be the ramifications? I know we have to run BDLS in order to change current logical systems to new logical systems. Are there any issues in doing so in Production system? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Santosh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone. OK, If I go ahead with same SID and name,and can I have same SID (PRD) temporarily on two hosts? I mean, I copy PRD to new hardware which will not be in production (not connected to any production interfaces), but I use this copy for mock cutover Integration/load testing using QA systems of connecting interface for about 6 -7 hours. If I can have same SIDs, then what would be the implications?

Former Member
0 Kudos

no implications as such,you can have two systems with same SID in your landscape and can do your testing on one system

Rohit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would strongly advise you to keep the same SID for your new production system.

Otherwise, you are really asking for trouble.

Open an OSS message and ask SAP. I'm nearly sure that they will tell you that you will loose SAP support if you proceed. It's up to you !

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think homogeneous system copy will help you. http://service.sap.com/systemcopy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Santosh

you can do that easily just by installing SAP system on new hardware and then restoring this backup to new system,that should not be an issue,it is just like doing system copy

but

SAP has strongly recommended not to run BDLS conversions on Production systems database,so I would suggest you to first approach SAP,raise a message with them and ask their recommendations

Let me know of any questions

Rohit