cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESS/MSS User friendly error message

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

we have implemented ESS scenario and configured JCO Connections. Everything works fine as long user exists in backend system, is valid and not locked.

But if user does not exist, is invalid or locked he/she gets an internal server error message with the whole exception trace. Of course users are very confused by this.

Is it possible to give a user friendly error message instead of an "Internal Server Error", if one of the above mentioned problems exist? Has anyone of you implemented something like this for ESS.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Carmen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Carmen,

You can customize the error messages by changing the web.xml file in the server. Refer the below blog written by me on the same.

[Customizing Error Messages in Portal |https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/wiki?path=/display/ep/customizing%252berror%252bmessages%252bin%252bportal]

Regards,

Santhosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

this looks exactly like what I've been looking for.

Thanks a lot.

Carmen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

I have been goingt hrough your blogs and reply's. Really impressed.

Regarding the custom error message, can we apply the same steps as you have mentioned for ESS/MSS applications?

EX: Bank details, Address details and so on...

If so, should we apply in the same path as you have mentioned (/irj/...xml). If there are 50 applications, should we update the sml file in all those 50 applications.

Really appreciate your reply.

Raj Shree...

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You could write a little Web Dynpro Java app that checks if the user has JCo access to the backend and if not, then gives a nice error. Put this iView on the home page for the portal. That way the user will at least get one nice error!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

you are right this could be a solution. But I wonder why this is not implemented by default in the ESS/MSS scenarios?

Regards,

Carmen

Former Member
0 Kudos

In relation to SAP software, it's always best not to ask "why did they ..." or "why didn't they ..."

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check your IE settings

Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced

There should a checkbox for displaying user friendly message

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Soral CX,

Unfortunately this does not solve my problem. The error message comes from the SAP Web Application Server not from the Internet Explorer. So this IE setting has no influence on my problem. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Carmen