Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorizations using variants

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have an implementation with 30 work centers and I want to avoid define 30 roles all with the same operations but diferent organizational levels values in WERKS.

I would like to create only one profile that takes the organizational level from a variable or a user parameter.

Is that possible?How can i do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I want to avoid define 30 roles all with the same operations but diferent organizational levels values in WERKS.

Why do you want to avoid this? Looks like a fine opportunity for derived roles to me.

12 REPLIES 12

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ander,

User parameters cannot be used for restricting or providing the access. They can be used for setting default values for the users.

Regards,

0 Kudos

>

> Hi Ander,

>

> User parameters cannot be used for restricting or providing the access. They can be used for setting default values for the users.

>

> Regards,

Hi Lakshmi

There are plenty of parameters which are related to access, personally I do not like them.

EFB is a very common one for controlling ability to create PO's

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I want to avoid define 30 roles all with the same operations but diferent organizational levels values in WERKS.

Why do you want to avoid this? Looks like a fine opportunity for derived roles to me.

0 Kudos

I agree with Jurjen, whichever way you look at it you will either have

1. lots of development work

2. 30+ roles to build

0 Kudos

Hello,

I agree in derived roles as a good solution but if is possible to use variables the number of roles in our system will be much lower and can be quite useful in other areas.

jabella
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Ander,

You can create a variant of the transaction, hidding the work centers field or setting it as display only and then setting the corresponding parameter (you can get the parameter name pressing F1).

But I agree with all the other guys. It will be a pain to mantain:

- Evertytime you set a user you will need to set the parameter.

- Everytime you add a transaction to the user you will need to create a variant.

- You will need to test if the user is not able to access the data in any way. As the user is not restricted in an authorization level, it will be harder to keep a good security.

Regardes, Jose.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ander,

Your purpose can be served by creating a single role and assigning a custom Analysis authorization object to it.

Regards,

Jaya

0 Kudos

Hi Jaya,

That approach relies on the user being in BW/BI and having the variable coded to pass in that info.

0 Kudos

Yes Alex. I m referring to that approach only.

First we have to maintain user specific data in a table.The variable will be processed by customer exit and we have to write a code such that it fetches the data from that table.

Hope this approach would suffice.

Regards,

Jaya

0 Kudos

Alex,here we want only the approach with variants??

0 Kudos

Hi Jaya,

I have a feeling that the original request was for an R/3 system, hence my response. If it is BW/BI then I agree with you about using the variable to populate the data.

Cheers

Alex

0 Kudos

Judging by the OP's other questions this is possibly an APO (Advanced Planner & Optimizer) system and the restriction is needed for the MRP run (Materials Requirement Planning)?

If that is the case, then the information should have been included - otherwise it is no wonder that we end up in a BI system, which could also include BusinessObjects...

Cheers,

Julius