cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting Display of Dates on X-Axis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a problem getting my x-axis labels ( a series of dates) to display on my chart. Originally I was using the dates and it looked fine until previewed or exported to an .swf. whereby the values display #value! or NaN. I then tried inserting another column and using the TEXT() to convert the dates to text. I am now gettting a date displayed but it is displaying from 1-Jan and not the dates that i have in my columns. I have also tried using the inbuilt formatting for the text of the category x axis labels without any success. Any help or ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks

Geoff

Edited by: Geoff Schuhmacher on Apr 29, 2009 8:57 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Geoff,

Are you using Fix Pack 1.3 (the latest, more details on the Xcelsius forum sticky posts).

Are you using formulas to lookup or calculate your dates?

If so put a spreadsheet tables display data onto the same cells so you can see the values at runtime?

#VALUE! or NAN would tend ot mean that the functions are not working as you expect them to at preview time (Xcelsius uses Excel at design time but uses Flash at preview time which is why you can sometimes see differences). Make sure you are using supported functions and not using array functions.

Regards,

Matt

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt,

Thanks for the tip. I used the spreadsheet table to look at each of the successive functions and have discovered that this formula is the one that is causing the problem:

=DATEVALUE(DAY(J3)&"/"&MONTH(J3)&"/"&YEAR(J3))

Where Cell J3 contains: =now() - time(0,5,0) which previews ok.

Each of these functions is in the list of supported functions.

I have broken this down further to include a new cell B8 with:

=DAY(J3)&"/"&MONTH(J3)&"/"&YEAR(J3) which also previews fine as todays date: "30/04/2009"

And my cell that is now displaying incorrectly now only contains:

=DATEVALUE(B8)

Am I missing something or is there something wrong with the DATEVALUE()

Thanks

Geoff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fixed my problem using the TRUNC() function to remove the time from the date, which seems like a better method of achieving my requirement anyway, however this does not resolve what looks to me like a defect with the DATEVALUE() function.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Geoff

Instead of using TRUNC() to remove the time element why not just use TODAY() rather than NOW() in your formula?

Regards

Charles