cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage unit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I want to know in which cases should I consider to use storage units, and in which not? What must be the criteria?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

csaba_szommer
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP online help (1):

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/c6/f846014afa11d182b90000e829fbfe/frameset.htm

Storage unit management is generally activated in the warehouse for the following reasons:

- Movement of mixed pallets (with more than one material) as a single unit within the warehouse

- Identification and management of materials using storage unit numbers assigned internally or externally

- WM can communicate with fork lift control systems via an interface without having to maintain material data in the external system.

SAP online help (2):

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_04/helpdata/EN/2d/584bc5a70f11d2b44e006094b9b9dd/frameset.htm

If a handling unit (HU) is put away, it becomes a storage unit with the same number in the warehouse. Handling units are treated like storage units in the warehouse. Number assignment occurs via the storage unit. Inventory is kept at HU-managed storage locations. Handling units can also be put away in decentralized warehouses.

So, In case of bothe HUM and WM are in use, SUM is a must.

Regards,

Csaba

Edited by: Csaba Szommer on Apr 29, 2009 8:34 AM

Edited by: Csaba Szommer on Apr 29, 2009 8:34 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Csaba,

I have an issue with stock transfer for storage units. My scenario is as follows:

Storage unit is defined as roll form in our industry (apparel). So when i GRN Stocks for eg: MAT A 100yds, i have to palletize the stocks in roll form as 55yds = 1roll & 45yds = another roll.

Case 1:

I grn 200yds of fabric which is allocated for two sales order / line items and the roll form is created as follows:

55yds - Roll1 ( for Sales Order / Line item A)

45yds - Roll1 ( for Sales Order / Line item B)

• Same roll satisfying two sales order / line item qty

another for the second 100yds

55yds - Roll2 ( for Sales Order / Line item B)

45yds - Roll2 ( for Sales Order / Line item A)

• Same roll satisfying two sales order / line item qty

When i need to issue for a production order of Sales Order A, a requirement of 100yds, i have to issue it from Roll1(55yds) & Roll2(45yds). My question is, are there any ways in WM where i could transfer the qty between storage units so that i have ROLL 1 100yds for Sales Order / Line item A & ROLL 2 100yds for Sales Order / Line item B. So when it comes to issuing i only need to issue from a single roll for either of the Sales Order / Line item.

Is there any transaction & movement type in WM to do the above function.

I shall eagerly await your feedback.

Thanks & Regards

Shabeen Buhary

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Storage units can be used to optimize warehouse capacity, they can be either homogenous or mixed pallets.

For example there are 100 units of material A, instead of handling them as 100 units individually you can call them as 1 storage unit of material A ,config WM view 2 LE quantity should describe how much quantity will make one SU.

Regards

Kiran V Yarlagadda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

One example I can Quote, If you want to track the Materials in terms of Pallets..