Did you mean: 

How many ways to backup LiveCache?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I see 2 different ways to backup livecache:

1) run report /sapapo/om_lc_download_upload

2) use dbmcli.exe

My questions are:

1) Is there any other way to backup livecache , in addition to above 2?

2) they backup the same set of objects (i.e. the backups generated have the same size)?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> I see 2 different ways to backup livecache:

>

> 1) run report /sapapo/om_lc_download_upload

>

> 2) use dbmcli.exe

>

> My questions are:

>

> 1) Is there any other way to backup livecache , in addition to above 2?

Well, the first method is not a backup method - it's an option to unload data from the liveCache to the SCM database.

That's something completely different used for different goals.

The only backup for liveCache there is, really is the "dbmcli" option.

You may also use the DBM GUI, DB Studio or DB13 to trigger it, but it will be always the same backup kind.

> 2) they backup the same set of objects (i.e. the backups generated have the same size)?

Nope.

Unloading the data from the liveCache just takes some object data from it and stored it to the SCM database. This data can then be used for upgrading the system and reloading the liveCache afterwards.

The backup on the other hand saves all allocated pages of the liveCache to your backup medium and enables a log-driven recovery. It can be created online during full production use of the liveCache.

Maybe you want to review the documentation for liveCache operations for more details.

Hope that clarifies he confusion.

regards

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks!

However, what made me think that /sapapo/om_lc_download_upload is a backup tool is that

we can use it to migrate the livecache to another server.

According to you, I see the workflow is

LC>SCM DB> another LC (i.e. for a LC migration and no dump at OS level generated)

Please confirm. Thanks!

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Thanks!

> However, what made me think that /sapapo/om_lc_download_upload is a backup tool is that

> we can use it to migrate the livecache to another server.

>

> According to you, I see the workflow is

>

> LC>SCM DB> another LC (i.e. for a LC migration and no dump at OS level generated)

Hi again.

If it's just about moving the liveCache instance to another server, then you can simply shutdown the SCM+liveCache instance, take a backup of the liveCache and recover it on the target server.

After that you just adapt the integration data in the SCM system and you're done.

The upload/download procedure is used, when

a) you want to change the platform liveCache is running on (what would be a heterogenous database copy in MaxDB)

or

b) you want to copy the whole SCM+liveCache instance to say, a test instance

or

c) you upgrade the SCM system

Try to avoid thinking of the liveCache alone - always think SCM+liveCache together, because your data is stored in both, in a distributed manner.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks!

When you say;

"...because your data is stored in both, in a distributed manner."

do you mean there are 2 identical copies ?

Sorry becaue I am new. Thanks again.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> When you say;

> "...because your data is stored in both, in a distributed manner."

>

> do you mean there are 2 identical copies ?

No, the data is not identical.

The data in liveCache are objects used to run simulations on data provided by the SCM system.

When the simulations/calculations are done in liveCache the results are returned to the SCM system.

As the functionality of the SCM depends on both databases the data is distributed but belongs together.

> Sorry becaue I am new. Thanks again.

Nevermind - that's what the forum is there for.

Anyhow, make sure to get your hands on the documentation for liveCache and SCM.

regards,

Lars

Answers (0)