cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adopt Storage Bin for Material to Monitor Quantity of Bin without using WM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all

I just found out that in the Material Master Creation->General Data/Storage Location 01, there is this field called "Storage Bin". It serves as additional text information for SLOC extended to a material.

For example, if Mat008 is extended to SLOC01 and SLOC02, I can actually maintain Storage Bin information so that it can make the storage location informaiton more meaning, in this case, example

1. Mat008 is stored at SLOC01, RackA1 where RackA1 is the Storage Bin info.

2. Mat008 is also stored at SLOC02, RackB2 where RackB2 is the Storage Bin info.

Already test this with Physical inventory Document and this Storage Bin info is able to show up for the ease of stock count.

Having said that, currently there are 4 production lines in my factory: Wood, Metal, Seating, Panel and all of them will share the same raw material SLOC called SRAW. It is so confusing for the people to identify where to find the raw material for Wood, and where to find raw material for Panel.

As such, there is suggestion to separate the Raw Material SLOC for 4 of them.

1. Raw Material SLOC for Wood = RWXX, W = Wood

2. Raw Material SLOC for Metal = RMXX, M = Metal

3. Raw Material SLOC for Panel = RPXX, P = Panel

4. Raw Material SLOC for Seating = RSXX, S = Seating

Having said that, industrial rack will be installed for each raw material SLOC. And in each SLOC, there will be 4 lines of rack.

1st Line is Rack A

2nd Line is Rack B

3rd Line is Rack C

4th Line is Rack D

And each rack has its own storage bin such as Vertical is A to E, Horizontal is 1 to 5. It will be like a matrix and if the Storage Bin info is A5, it means go to vertical A, Horizontal 5 to locate it.

Thus, the SLOC naming convention for 4 lines of Raw Material can be further enhanced as:

1. Raw Material SLOC for Wood = RWRA, W = Wood, RA = Rack A

2. Raw Material SLOC for Metal = RMRC, M = Metal, RC = Rack C

3. Raw Material SLOC for Panel = RPRD, P = Panel, RD = Rack D

4. Raw Material SLOC for Seating = RSRC, S = Seating, RC = Rack C

For Raw Material SLOC for Wood, it can have all the SLOC conventions as:

RWRA

RWRB

RWRC

RWRD

And for one material, it is only assigned to a SLOC and a fixed Storage Bin.

Question 01:

What will be the design complexity and impact if I actually decide to use so many storage location to perform function like WM? As we do not activate WM now.

Question 02:

I can only view the quantity for each Bin in MMBE (Stock Overview). Other than that, I am not able to view the Storage Bin Quantity for Plant Stock using MB52 for a selected Material. How can I view report of Quantity for Storage Bin for a selected material?

Question 03:

Am I able to perform GR, GI, Transfer Posting for the BIN Quantity?

Sorry for the lengthy explanation. Hope it is useful.

Thanks.

Edited by: Daimos on Apr 27, 2009 8:14 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is certainly possible to do exact this in MM to avoid a WM system. We have this in several plants, even we have many other plants using WM.

Your material master storage location table (MARD) will increase, however with WM other tables will increase and may even take more space in the database.

The storage bin description is only available in MMBE and phyiscal inventory, if you need it anywhere else, then you have to program it yourself.

You will not have any system supported control of maximum bin capacity,

Former Member
0 Kudos

How about the GR and GI using MB1C and MB1A, are they able to view the bin quantity first before they actually GR and GI?

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it is not shown when you execute the movement

Answers (0)